Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP Discovery packet loss

Experiencing issue with packet loss for broadcast DHCP discovery traffic between two switches over port-channel. 

When performing wireshark analysis i see multiple DHCP discovery packets being sent out from port and i see those discovery packet hitting other ports on a switch but when i am performing DHCP packet debug on a switch with DHCP pool i am not seeing any entries for those discoveries. 

Switch with DHCP pool is 9300x 10gig ports

Clients connect from 3850 switch stack with 1gig ports over port-channel 

During low traffic utilization DHCP discovery packets cross port-channel without any issues but when there is increased utilization DHCP discovery timing out. 

The only thing i noticed is output drops on port-channel interface. 

Any suggestion? 

5 Replies 5

try change hashing algorithm for port-channel.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post the PO config from both switches?

Also, can you check if you are using the same load-balancing method, e.g source-mac or source-des-mac on both sides of the connection?

HTH

Hello,

on the 3850, the 'traditional' way to get rid of output drops was to configure something like the below:

qos queue-softmax-multiplier 1200

was working with Cisco tec it looks like control plane policing issue. 
Just in case someone runs into the same issue. 

------------------ show platform hardware fed switch active qos queue stats internal cpu policer ------------------

<example>

CPU Queue Statistics

============================================================================================

(default) (set)     Queue        Queue

QId PlcIdx  Queue Name                Enabled   Rate     Rate      Drop(Bytes)  Drop(Frames)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6    0      ICMP Redirect               Yes     600       600      349103597224  987298676

12   0      BROADCAST                   Yes     600       600      102580649    325870

Class-map: system-cpp-police-data (match-any)
0 packets, 0 bytes
5 minute offered rate 0000 bps, drop rate 0000 bps
Match: none
police:
rate 600 pps, burst 146 packets
conformed 8803604872322 bytes; actions:
transmit
exceeded 105795709285435 bytes; actions:
drop

Solution is to disable un-necessary broadcasts, disable ICMP redirects on layer 3 interfaces. Also identified application on a network that is generating ICMP time-to-live exceeded broadcast messages which is in the same control plane queue as DHCP broadcasts. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card