Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP Leases are not renewing on Cisco RV325 Router set to DHCP Relay

I'm having a problem with DHCP on a Cisco RV325 router that I'm hoping someone from Cisco can help solve.  I recently replaced an RV042 router with the RV325.  Here's some information about our network.

This router is at a remote office and gets it's Internet connection via a WAN connection back to our main office.  Our Internet as well as the WAN connection from this office to our main office is through AT&T.  The RV325 at our remote office plugs into an AT&T router that has a fiber connection back to another AT&T router at our main office, before plugging into our core Layer3 switch, with is a Cisco switch.

The RV325 at the remote office that I'm having issues with is not VLANed.  It has only one VLAN.  I have configured it as a router in the Working Mode, with RIP enabled, Receive RIP versions 1 and 2, and Transmit RIP versions RIPv2 Broadcast.  I have configured the IP address on the LAN and WAN side, and set the DHCP to "DHCP Relay" and entered the IP address of the Remote DHCP Server back at our main office.  Dual WAN is set to "Load Balance (Auto Mode)" as we do not have multiple WAN connections, just the one WAN connection back to our main office.  The firewall is disabled on the RV325 router.

Here is the problem.  I can ping the remote DHCP server from the RV325 router, and PCs and VOIP phones are getting an IP address via DHCP, but the problem is that after 3 days, the PCs and VOIP phones are losing their connection because their leases are expiring and they cannot renew them via DHCP.  My boss has increased the DHCP lease time on our DHCP server for this subnet, but it makes no difference.  Every time that this problem has occurred, I reboot the RV325 router at the remote office, and the PCs and VOIP phones are again able to get an IP address via DHCP, but they drop their connection 3 days later because they cannot renew them.  Rebooting the router again fixes the problem with the DHCP leases for another 3 days.

I don't know what the problem is.  I have enabled logging on the RV325, but the logs don't show anything that would indicate what the problem is.  The RV325 is running firmware version 1.4.2.19, which is the latest version.  We did not have this problem with the old RV042 router, but just on the RV325.  I'm hoping someone can help me.  Thanks! 

12 Replies 12

jimmy747
Level 1
Level 1

DHCP Leases are not renewing on my Cisco RV325 Router. Started yesterday here

Hello,

which firmware version are you running ? Make sure it is the latest release, 1.4.2.19.

It is version 1.4.2.19, the latest version of the firmware.

Anyone found a solution to this yet? I can't be the only person having this problem.

Hello,

what are you using as DHCP server ? And how is the DHCP server connected, that is, is it in the same subnet and directly connected to one of the ports on the RV325 ?

Sorry, you already mentioned that you are using relay...

Either way, what are you using as DHCP server ?

The DHCP server is running on Windows 2012 Server. This DHCP server is located at our main office. It is NOT directly connected to the router at our branch office (the RV325 server that I'm having problems with.). The RV325 server is located at a branch office, is set to DHCP Relay with the IP address of the DHCP server being the static IP address of the DHCP server at our main office. PC's at the branch office are pickup up IP addresses via DHCP just fine, and I can ping the IP address of the DHCP server at our main office from the RV325 router at the branch office. The problem is, the PCs at the branch office are only holding their DHCP address for 3 days, and once the lease expires, they are dropping off the network because they can't renew their IP address via DHCP, even though the router is set to DHCP Relay. Once I reboot the RV325 router at the remote office, everything is fine again, until another 3 days passes and their lose their IP addresses again. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Hello,

the default lease time for the RV325 is 1440 minutes (24 hours). The problem might be that the Windows DHCP server gives out a different lease length. You could try and synchronize both, that is, configure e.g. 7 days on both the Windows 2012 server and the RV325...

The RV325 is NOT set as a DHCP server! It is configured as DHCP Relay, meaning that the PC's that are on the LAN side of this router get their IP addresses via the DHCP server back at our main office. With the DHCP mode of the RV325 at our branch office set to "DHCP Relay", there is no option to change the Client Lease Time, as it is grayed out when set to DHCP Relay. I don't want to set the RV325 up as a DHCP Server, as we already have a DHCP server running on Windows 2012 Server back at our main office. I want to leave the RV325 set to DHCP Relay. PCs are getting an IP address when the RV325 is set to DHCP Relay, but they are dropping their DHCP lease after 3 days, and they won't renew them unless I reboot the router.

Hello,

what is in between the RV325 and the Windows 2012 server ?

The RV325 at the branch office connects to an AT&T router which is connected to another AT&T router back at our main office via fiber optic cable. At our main office, the AT&T router is connected to our layer 3 switch (a Cisco Catalyst 3550), and our DHCP server at the main office is plugged into the Cisco Catalyst 3550.

Hello,

are your clients in the default VLAN (1) ?

Your issue could be related to option 82, try and enable that (Step 1 page 47 in the attached user guide)..

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rv320/administration/guide/en/rv32x_ag_en.pdf

All clients are in VLAN1. We only use one VLAN1 at that remote office and all clients are in VLAN1. I don't think the issue is related to Option 82, as we don't use that on any other routers and have never had an issue with DHCP Relay not working.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card