Helpful
Replies

Different power sources and different phases for Catalyst switches in stack

CaptainPistache
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Cisco Community,

I have specific questions regarding the power input of switch stack members :

1. In a stack with two Catalyst 3750X switches (1 power supply each) connected together with stack cables + PowerStack cables, can I connect the power supply of each switch with a different power source coming from different current phase ? (three-phase current installation). I mean, the input voltage will always be 230V for each power supply, however, the voltage between the two power supplies in this same stack will be 400 V. Is that an issue ?
  2. Same question than above but for Catalyst 2960S and 2960X only connected with standard stack cables.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Captain

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Decent data center setups should avoid such issues. Unless you are also servicing a Chinese launderette.  But internally there will be no 400V difference at all, because output power for the switch will  always be DC from each power supply. And if there would be you will note that you can use your stack also as a  barbecue set.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

If I connect the stack member to the L1 electrical outlet and the second stack member in the L2 electrical outlet, am I going to be in trouble ? :)

The PDU where you plug in your switch will convert from single-phase or three-phase to 220v you need. So, as long as you purchase the right PDU, you should have no issue connecting each switch to a different PDU with one source being sing and the other one three. Most single and three phase PDUs come with a C19 connector that connects to your power outputs and multiple regular outlets (110 or 220) that connects to the equipment.

HTH

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Decent data center setups should avoid such issues. Unless you are also servicing a Chinese launderette.  But internally there will be no 400V difference at all, because output power for the switch will  always be DC from each power supply. And if there would be you will note that you can use your stack also as a  barbecue set.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks both for your rapid answers, really appreciate.

marce1000, not sure if I completely get what you mean but it's certainly because of my lack of knowledge in the electrical field.

400 V are coming in our datacenter in a three-phase current. Then, it is split in an electrical panel in three separate phases (L1, L2, L3), each one with its own breaker. Our electrical outlets are then labelled with the corresponding phase (L1, L2, L3).

If I connect the stack member to the L1 electrical outlet and the second stack member in the L2 electrical outlet, am I going to be in trouble ? :)

Thank you very much.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

As long as the input voltage (110 or 220) is the same, it should not matter if the source is a single-phase or three-phase.

HTH

The PDU where you plug in your switch will convert from single-phase or three-phase to 220v you need. So, as long as you purchase the right PDU, you should have no issue connecting each switch to a different PDU with one source being sing and the other one three. Most single and three phase PDUs come with a C19 connector that connects to your power outputs and multiple regular outlets (110 or 220) that connects to the equipment.

HTH

CaptainPistache
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, thank you very much for your explanations.

Glad to help.

Good luck with your project!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card