cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difficult: C805 Deleting 1 copy of TinyROM to make room 4 IOS

leizaola
Level 1
Level 1

I need to urgently deliver a bunch of 805 routers to my customer with IOS 12.2.15(T5)... I am upgrading the doing the IOS upload and the customer is purchasing licenses separately.

The IOS image is close to 4MB, we have some routers that have 2 copies of the tinyROM which means it takes up enough space for the IOS not to load.

I have found this document

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_fix/800/801to804/801swcg/rommon.htm

Which kind of implies that one can remove stuff from ROM (Flash) if one does a TinyROM upgrade.

My question is, where are the TinyROM files on the Cisco site, I've been through all the IOS upgrade planner and I can't find them?

Is there anyway I can just delete one of the copies of the TinyROM and make room for the IOS?

Another thing I have tried is downloading the TinyROM from another router and then try to upload it, but it seems that the .bin packages have some extra headers/crc's and I am only able to upload about 6K of the TinyROM. I guess this is the case as I don't have an original virgin TinyROM image.

Please let me know if I've not provided enough information.

Regards,

Maren.

1 Reply 1

leizaola
Level 1
Level 1

HERE IS AN UPDATE:

Ok after 3 hours, I have found the latest TinyROM image... Nice re-organisation of the site!

Anyway i uploaded the TEXT file 122KB which contains the ROM file and all that it has done is updated one of the ROM images but it has left the other one there! argh!

So instead of having TinyROM-1.2(1) and TinyROM-1.2(2) I now have

TinyROM-1.2(1) and TinyROM-1.4(1)...

That was pointless...

Honestly Cisco should write a big fat warning about this, I've been using Cisco's for almost 9 years and this it the first time it takes me 3 days to even begin to solve the problem.

I think this has to be documented, but first I would love for someone to tell me how do I deleted the TinyROM-1.2(1) image from the ROM Flash.

thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card