Views
Helpful
Replies

difficulty in re-installing ios on cisco 2821

AlfredNketia
Level 1
Level 1

difficulty in re-installing ios on cisco 2821

I'm  trying to install ios into my cisco 2821 which boots in rommon.  Apparently the ios is corrupted, I have set the IP_ADDRESS,  IP_SUBNET_MASK, DEFAULT_GATEWAY, TFTP_SERVER, TFTP_FILE but anytime I  issue the 'tftpdnld' and confirm to continue, the process will time out  give this error message

"  ...........
ARP: address resolution for 10.203.8.49 timed out.
ARP failed with failure code 1.  TFTP transfer aborted.

TFTP: Operation terminated prematurely.    "

What may have gone wrong. Please help me out.

13 Replies 13

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

You need to cable the router to either a network or with a xover to the tftp server.

HTH>

jose cortes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alfred,

I have this problem once, I did the procedure step by step and the TFTP connection did not workout. My problem was that i connected my PC (running the TFTP server) on the Fa0/1, not the FA0/0, as soon as I connected the cable in the Fa0/0 the transfer worked.

Another advice is try to boot the IOS from the TFTP and later when the system goes up and you get out from rommon copy the image from the tftp server to the flash.

Regards,

Jose

When all else fails, Xmodem won't.  It's been my saving grace several times with corrupted IOS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_rommon.html#wp1044991

Hi Antonio,

I am going to give it a try. Hope this will save me too

Thanks

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't think the owner of this thread is "monitoring" this one.  He's opened up a significant number of the same thread. 

I am following all the threads.

As I indicated earlier, I was a bit new to forum and missed the most approriate community to post the question.

AlfredNketia
Level 1
Level 1

Upon suggestions from a number of you, I have tried the 'tftpdnld' and the 'xmodem' methods but all of them will be doing the copying but can not finish and times out. It copies 46113996 (ox2bfa4cc) out 57544900 (ox36e10c4) always and time times out. I have tried both methods more than once but it starts to time out exactly at this point.

Is hope still there for me.

Looking forward to hear from you all.

Thanks

Alf

Hi, try to boot the system from the tftp server instead of load the image from the tftp. use the command "tftpdnld -r" (without the quotes) in order to force the router to boot the image and make it start the normal CLI (at this point the router has no image in the flash you did not copy it, so if you reload the router, it will start again on ROMMON) Once you have made the router to boot the image from the tftp server you will be able to enter to your CLI enviroment and if you check the flash there will be no image (as I told you before) but you can copy the image using the command "copy tftp flash".

The proccess will be something like this:

rommon 1 > IP_ADDRESS=192.10.4.1
rommon 2 > IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0
rommon 3 > DEFAULT_GATEWAY=192.10.4.254
rommon 4 > TFTP_SERVER=192.10.4.254
rommon 5 > TFTP_FILE=2600xm.bin

rommon 6 > tftpdnld -r

IP_ADDRESS: 192.10.4.1
      IP_SUBNET_MASK: 255.255.255.0
     DEFAULT_GATEWAY: 192.10.4.254
         TFTP_SERVER: 192.10.4.254
           TFTP_FILE: 2600xm.bin
Receiving 2600xm.bin from 192.10.4.254 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
File reception completed.

Regards

Jose

Hello Jose,

I just tried your option but also timed out after it had copied 94%.

Really can't know where the issue is coming from.

Regards.

Alf

What IOS are you trying to load and what is the amount of memory (flash/dram) on the router? Are you sure you are uisng a TFTP server that supports transfers above 32Mb? I suggest to use TFTPD32

Hi Alfred,

As Alvaro say you have to check some things before you try to load an Image:

- The IOS Image Flash/Memory Requirements (you can find this on the IOS advisor of http://tools.cisco.com/Support/Fusion/FusionHome.do?mySession=191267&myStep=12)

- The actual Flash space available.

- The TFTP32 is a great software. You have to know that some TFTP has a upload/download limit for 32Megs.

Also, I recommend you for large transfers and only if you can, run the TFTP software in your machine and connect it directly to the router interface in order to avoid delays and packet loss (remember tftp is UDP).

Finally, if you check all the stuff and it seems to be ok, try to use another Flash Memory, maybe there is a problem with the hardware not the procedure (just a thought).

Regards

Jose.

If you go the xmodem route I usually choose the smallest boot or IOS image I can find and use that first. The time to transfer is decreased and there is less of a chance for the transfer to fail. Once booted on that image configure the router as needed to transfer the desired IOS image.

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no  implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any   purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and   should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.    Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising   out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if   Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Ditto, and if you do go the XMODEM way, push com link to max supported bps rate and also see if XMODEM 1K works.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card