Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN Support

Siham
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My question is why the Cisco 3850 doesn't support the DMVPN.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Keep in mind that cisco is in the business of shifting boxes (and software licenses too). If they produced a single box that ruled them all this would impact the selling of lots of other boxes!!

With that in mind, the different software architectures (IOS, XE, XR, NX-OS, etc) will have varying capabilities which are then in turn mated with very specific hardware. Chances are a 3850 could run DMVPN but it would probably be run all in CPU and have terrible performance.

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The 3850 is a switch.

DMVPN is a router function.

Cisco doesn't like function cross-over between product families!

cheers,

Seb.

Hi Seb,
Thanks for your feedback.
I’m asking that because DMVPN is based on combination of protocols (MGRE, Routing protocols, NHRP, Ipsec..) and since the IP services support the Routing protocols (like a router) I want to know what block the support of the DMVPN in this case? is it the Ipsec encryption or what exactly?
BR.
Siham

Keep in mind that cisco is in the business of shifting boxes (and software licenses too). If they produced a single box that ruled them all this would impact the selling of lots of other boxes!!

With that in mind, the different software architectures (IOS, XE, XR, NX-OS, etc) will have varying capabilities which are then in turn mated with very specific hardware. Chances are a 3850 could run DMVPN but it would probably be run all in CPU and have terrible performance.

cheers,

Seb.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card