cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

does 3560x IP base support full OSPF

rhienwei2010
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco datasheet says IP Base provides baseline enterprise services in addition to all LAN Base features, with 1K VLANs. IP Base also includes the support for routed access, StackPower (available only on the Catalyst 3750-X), MACsec, and the new Cisco Service Module. The IP Services feature set provides full enterprise services that includes advanced Layer 3 features such as Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), Border Gateway Protocol (BGP),

So sounds like EIGRP and OSPF only suppred on IP services.  But found myself can run ospf command on a IP Base 3560x-S.  So, does IP Base 3560x support full OSPF, RIP, EIGRP functionalities?

Thanks a lot.

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not have a lot of experience with the 3560x to speak from, but I would trust the documentation on this. It is possible that some commands for OSPF may be accepted in the IP Base. And they may even execute.  But I would be very cautious about expecting a full implementation to run reliably.

In a lab I would be inclined to give OSPF a try and see what happens. But in a live network I would not want to do it. I have learned the lesson that when Cisco says not supported it does not mean that it will not run. But it means that you can not count on it to do the right thing every time - and when it does something unexpected (or wrong) that you will get no assistance from Cisco TAC.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

"The LAN Base feature set offers enhanced  intelligent services that includes comprehensive Layer 2 features. The  IP Base feature set provides baseline enterprise services in addition to  all LAN Base features. IP Base also includes the support for routed  access, StackPower, and MACsec.The IP Services feature set provides  full enterprise services that includes advanced Layer 3 features such as  Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), Open Shortest Path  First (OSPF), Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), Protocol Independent  Multicast (PIM), and IPv6 routing such as OSPFv3 and EIGRPv6. IP  Services feature set also includes the Embedded Event Manager (EEM) and  IP service-level agreements (SLAs) initiator functionalities. All  software feature sets support advanced security, QoS, and management  features. The IP Services feature set is only available as an upgrade  option at the time of ordering or through a license at a later time;  there is no dedicated IP Services switch model."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/data_sheet_c78-584733.html

Figure 2

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/white_paper_c11-579326_ps7078_Products_White_Paper.html

OSPF for routed access is in IP Base. The definition of the feature and usage guidelines are described in the release bulletin:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps8802/ps6969/ps5012/product_bulletin_c25-614546_ps5023_Products_Bulletin.html

According to the documenthttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swiprout.html#wp1483229

With Cisco IOS Release 12.2(55)SE, the IP Base image supports OSPF for  routed access. The IP services image is required if you need multiple  OSPFv2 and OSPFv3 instances without route restrictions. Additionally,  the IP services image is required to enable the multi-VRF-CE feature.

#

OSPF for Routed Access is specifically designed so that you can extend Layer 3 routing capabilities to the wiring closet.

#

Note OSPF  for Routed Access supports only one OSPFv2 and one OSPFv3 instance with  a combined total of 200 dynamically learned routes. The IP Base image  provides OSPF for routed access.

Thanks.

That's what I got from Cisco docs as well.  By my testing, basice OPSF funcationalities work well on IP Base 3650x.

Yup you are correct.

Hope this answerd your question. If no further queries then can I request you to kindly mark this thread as answered.

Thanks

Inayath

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card