Replies

Dynamic Access port

jonk34567
Level 4
Level 4
Is there anything called " Dynamic access ports "
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, there is (or better, there was) a function named "dynamic access ports". It's a legacy technology that is typically not used any more today. It is a regular access-port, but the VLAN-membership is not configured statically, instead the switch queries a VMPS (VLAN membership policy server) which VLAN should be assigned to a port based on the MAC-address. This policy-server had a database of MAC-address to VLAN-mappings.

Today, a RADIUS-server like the Cisco ISE is used for that and the technology used is MAB (MAC authentication bypass).

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Hi

It does not sounds for me, it could be dynamic ports instead, usually used for trunk interfaces: auto and desirable. 

Switch mode dynamic <auto/desirable>

Also please check this image

Resultado de imagen para Dynamic access port

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

thanks for the quick reply. so can i apply port security to trunk ports ?

You are welcome,

Actually you can but honestly I don't suggest configure port security under the trunks, it can generate troubles. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

so the port should be static trunk ports . so that port security can be applied ? or can we apply port security to dynamic trunk ports ?

Hi,

Port security is recommended under switchports in access mode only. 

so the port should be static trunk ports . so that port security can be applied ? or can we apply port security to dynamic trunk ports ?

Hi,

You can configure port security on dynamic or static trunks, but it is not recommended because it can generate issues. I recommend configure use port security on access ports only.

The following link could be useful:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12-2/25sg/configuration/guide/conf/port_sec.pdf

:-)

Yes, there is (or better, there was) a function named "dynamic access ports". It's a legacy technology that is typically not used any more today. It is a regular access-port, but the VLAN-membership is not configured statically, instead the switch queries a VMPS (VLAN membership policy server) which VLAN should be assigned to a port based on the MAC-address. This policy-server had a database of MAC-address to VLAN-mappings.

Today, a RADIUS-server like the Cisco ISE is used for that and the technology used is MAB (MAC authentication bypass).

Hello @Karsten Iwen 

Which statement is true about a dynamic access port?
A. VLAN 1 is the default VLAN.
B. None until the port VLAN is determined.
C. All VLANs are permitted in a dynamic access port link.
D. Per default, the port has to participate in a VLAN election to determine which VLAN a port is assigned.

I believe Answer A

but some people says answer B seems correct, can you answer this?

Thanks 

Siva

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card