cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic/Static Nat

j_j624001
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Guys; Kinda new to this one here on choosing between dynamic or static type.

So far im configured as a dynamic type on a asa5510; but i wanna change it to static;

What the pro's and con's between the two ?

How would you change NAT to static ?

This is my current setup

nat-control
global (OutNet) 101 interface
nat (InNet) 101 10.10.99.0.0255.255.255.0
nat (Services) 101 10.10.65.0 255.255.255.0

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Luke Oxley
Level 1
Level 1
j_j624001,

Thanks for your post. There are no pros and cons so to speak, they are both meant for different applications. In the simplest form...
Dynamic NAT - Otherwise known as PAT. This will automatically translate multiple addresses internal address to a single or multiple outside addresses on random port numbers. This is your typical setup for a whole LAN to access the outside world.
Static NAT - Otherwise known as 1:1 NAT. This maps a single internal address to a single outside address, you can specify certain ports/protocols to be translated too. With a static NAT, you could not have multiple internal hosts all NAT'ing out, just the one internal address. An example: You have a public IP and a web server internal to your network, you wish to NAT the servers internal address to the public address so that any requests for <publicip>:80 will get sent to <serverip>:80. This example is a static NAT.
There are plenty of configuration guides on the Cisco website that will help you configure this. I hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Luke

Please rate helpful posts and mark correct answers. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Luke Oxley
Level 1
Level 1
j_j624001,

Thanks for your post. There are no pros and cons so to speak, they are both meant for different applications. In the simplest form...
Dynamic NAT - Otherwise known as PAT. This will automatically translate multiple addresses internal address to a single or multiple outside addresses on random port numbers. This is your typical setup for a whole LAN to access the outside world.
Static NAT - Otherwise known as 1:1 NAT. This maps a single internal address to a single outside address, you can specify certain ports/protocols to be translated too. With a static NAT, you could not have multiple internal hosts all NAT'ing out, just the one internal address. An example: You have a public IP and a web server internal to your network, you wish to NAT the servers internal address to the public address so that any requests for <publicip>:80 will get sent to <serverip>:80. This example is a static NAT.
There are plenty of configuration guides on the Cisco website that will help you configure this. I hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Luke

Please rate helpful posts and mark correct answers. 
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card