cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Emulate a "captive portal" through router configuration (VLAN?)

bohnjerry
Level 1
Level 1

Warning!!  Cisco newbie here!  (Sorry for the layman's terms)

Have an 1811 router and a WAP321.  Unfortunatley the "built in" captive portal off of the wireless AP isn't what I envisioned off the sales description of the WAP321.  I've attempted (before I replaced this business's string of home routers with the Cisco 1811 router) to use NoCatSplash on a junk router, and got close to what I need, except for the routing "interference" DD-WRT introduced onto their network (again, those big box store wireless routers strung through the place).

This business is a mishmash of just about everything, paid-for meeting hall, office space rentals, simulcast broadcasts.. so I guess a business of gathering people :P

Anyway, being where people meet for all sorts of events and meetings, they wanted an AP that would present one thing.. event content.  They would like an unsecured AP, but only redirect them to one site.. ever.  No sign-in.. agreeing to terms.. just connect to the AP with a smartphone or laptop, connect to the AP and open a browser.  They want to see a "webpage of the day" with whatever content attached (meeting agendas, schedules, perhaps download links to forms or videos).

NoCatSpash can do that, by simply removing the code that allows people to select the terms of service.  Being as this is a commerical product, I would assume the "function" (WAP321 and it's "captive portal") would have many options and configurations, but still have the ability to "play nice" with the rest of the network,  I was wrong.

I figured I'd fall back and instead of arguing with this canned "solution" that I make my own, though possibly a VLAN configuration that I would attach this SSID to.

I didn't attach a config.. since there isn't any for this, yet.

I do have the cable modem attached to FE0, I have FE1 shutdown, and FE2 - FE9 on VLAN1.  I did think I should physically attach the wireless AP to FE1 and configure that, since it's visually away from the "switch" section of the router.  I thought if I had to, by configuration, dedicate a physical port to this config scheme, that I would narrow the chances of things being plugged back in wrong, should they move the equipment in the future.

Again sorry for the lack of Cisco-eese.  I'm a full time programmer/software developer that now is trying to be a network tech (yeah, one of those :P) for this project.

The VLAN2 "global redirect" just needs to point to a specific IP and/or domain either internal LAN or WAN.. doesn't matter.  I can make either work.

If I can utilize the "normal" SSID as well and still point that to VLAN1, that would be a bonus.

I grabbing at straws, so please let me know if what little config I've thrown out there is barking up the wrong tree (VLAN, or FE1, etc.)

I believe I have the science of this in my head.. general networking theory, but lack the Cisco config/command structure to follow that.

Thanks a bunch!  Sorry you have a headache now.  :P

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card