Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enable IPV6 traffic on C2960

Hi, I have 2 questions about enabling the IPV6 traffic on C2960.

I have below C2960 connecting to the servers and the servers are configured with IPV6 addresses.

Question 1, do I need to configure "sdm prefer dual -ipv4-and-ipv6 default" and reload so that I can run IPV6 traffic on this switch? It is a flat layer 2 switch and only need to allow the IPV6 traffic on this switch so that the servers can communicate with each other locally. What else do I need to configure? The VLAN was configured on the access ports.

Question 2, the C2960 doesn't accept "sdm" syntax as below in the configuration mode. What is the reason?

Switch Ports Model SW Version SW Image
------ ----- ----- ---------- ----------
* 1 50 WS-C2960X-48TS-LL 15.2(2)E7 C2960X-UNIVERSALK9-M

SAC107(config)#sdm ?
% Unrecognized command

I checked the 15.2(2)E7's SDM configuration guide and it skips "sdm prefer dual -ipv4-and-ipv6 default" command in the steps which is confusing.

Setting the SDM Template

Follow these steps to use the SDM template to maximize feature usage:

SUMMARY STEPS

1. enable
  2. configure terminal
  3. end
  4. reload
8 Replies 8

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

If the switch is just being used for Layer2 switching then adjusting the SDM template is not required.

I suspect the sdm commands are not available because you have not enabled ip routing on the switch. Can you confirm?

cheers,

Seb.

The C2960 doesn't take IP routing command.

SAC107(config)#ip routing
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

It looks like in order to let C2960 accept IP routing command it requires to configure "sdm prefer lanbase-routing" which is not being accepted neither.

I should have noticed you 2960X is a -LL model (LAN Lite), these have no Layer3 functionality at all. Therefore the ip routing and sdm commands will not work.

If I remember correctly they cannot be upgraded to LAN Base or IP Lite.

That said, for you deployment requirements it is an ideal Layer2 switch.

cheers,

Seb.

Hi Seb, you are right. This C2960X is Lanlite only. And I need to use C3650-48-L-E at my warehouse to replace this device. I am confused by the C3650-48-L-E's description. It says C3650-48 LAN Base to IP Service Paper RTU License. My understanding is the C3650's IP Service's license is ready on the switch and I just need to activate it after installation, Correct? Or do I need to purchase one and load to the switch?

To active the IP Services features you will need to issue the following command:

license right-to-use activate ipservices all acceptEULA

It is termed a paper license as there is no file to load onto the switch, just the above command to run.

I agree with @HaroldRitter , from what you have described of your requirement you only need a layer2 switch. It would be a waste to deploy a Layer3 switch with an IPservices license!

cheers,

Seb.

Kevin Kilgore
Level 1
Level 1

I manage a C3560 and have set the sdm-prefer like you said. Enter the command at the # prompt. Do not go to config t.

My switch runs at layer 2 but has an IPv6 management address. Not sue if you must do this.

Kevin, thanks for the information. This C2960X is Lanlite only so even I typed SDM at the # prompt it didn't accept the command.

I am going to use C3560 to replace it. What model number and license does your C3560 have? Did you need to activate the related license?

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

As per your original question, which is the following:

> Question 1, do I need to configure "sdm prefer dual -ipv4-and-ipv6 default" and reload so that I can run IPV6 traffic on

> this switch? It is a flat layer 2 switch and only need to allow the IPV6 traffic on this switch so that the servers can

> communicate with each other locally. What else do I need to configure? The VLAN was configured on the access

> ports.

You do not need to do anything special on the switch to get the servers to communicate between themselves over IPv6. As long as the layer 2 is properly configured, the server should be able to communicate.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
MĆ©xico mĆ³vil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco MĆ©xico
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
CuauhtƩmoc, JuƔrez
Ciudad de MĆ©xico, 06600
MĆ©xico