Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel - Physical learners vs Aggregate learners

Juan Urti
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I have studied Etherchannel to my CCIE Written exam, and i can understand many details about them.

But, i can´t understand the difference between Physical learners and Aggregate learners. Someone know, what is the difference?

The Etherchannel does learn address across the physical port, or by the Po Port?

Sorry by my english.

Juan

3 Replies 3

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Juan,

Network devices are classified as PAgP  physical learners or aggregate-port learners. A device is a physical learner if  it learns addresses by physical ports and directs transmissions based on that  knowledge. A device is an aggregate-port learner if it learns addresses by  aggregate (logical) ports.

When a device and its partner are both  aggregate-port learners, they learn the address on the logical port-channel. The  device sends packets to the source by using any of the interfaces in the  EtherChannel. With aggregate-port learning, it is not important on which  physical port the packet arrives.

PAgP cannot automatically detect when  the partner device is a physical learner and the local device is an  aggregate-port learner. Therefore, you must manually set the learning method on  the local device or source-based distribution by using the pagp learn-method  interface configuration command. With source-based distribution, any given  source MAC address is always sent on the same physical port.

2-

The Etherchannel does learn address across the physical port, or by the Po Port?

According to the above stated it clearly indicates that the learning should/will happen through the physical port.

More info;

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=3CaYld1w5-8C&pg=PA25&lpg=PA25&dq=Physical+learners+vs+Aggregate&source=bl&ots=Z1zVsaEsPF&sig=530quM1uS-AhnrNExGBHpwt4J-g&hl=en&sa=X&ei=vhFuUefLJovOrQfW5oDYAw&sqi=2&ved=0CEkQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=Physical%20learners%20v...

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate all usefull posts.

Excelent!!! thank you!!!!

Now, i can understand the difference.

Last Question. If the Etherchannel utilice Aggregate learn, are the mac-address learn over the phy or logical port? (sh mac-add dyn table)

HI Juan,

Last Question. If the Etherchannel utilice Aggregate learn, are the mac-address learn over the phy or logical port? (sh mac-add dyn table)

Ans; When a device and its partner are both  aggregate-port learners, they learn the address on the logical port-channel. The  device sends packets to the source by using any of the interfaces in the  EtherChannel. With aggregate-port learning, it is not important on which  physical port the packet arrives.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate all usefull posts.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card