cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extended Fast Software Upgrade (xFSU) - difference in commands?

vv0bbLeS
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Per the Cisco documentation on Extended Fast Software Reload (xFSU) on 9300 switches, there are 2 commands to accomplish this "fast upgrade" process:

• install add file <image URL> activate xfsu commit (available in Cisco IOS XE 17.8 release and above)
  • install add file <image URL> activate reloadfast commit (available in Cisco IOS XE 17.3 and 17.6 releases)

From reading the doc above, it looks like the xfsu upgrade command doesn't require a reload, while the reloadfast upgrade command includes a fast reload.

So, my question is:

• Why we would ever use the reloadfast upgrade command when the xfsu upgrade command doesn't require a reload?
    • Is there some part of the software upgrade process that requires a reload "at some point" in order for the software upgrade to be considered "100% complete" ? (i.e. we run the xfsu command with no reload, and then later we can separately run the plain reload fast command to do a fast reload?)
0xD2A6762E
2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I have not tested this, but if I am reading the document correctly, you still need a "reload fast" in order for the new software to be active.

HTH 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure TAC is on the phone or WebEx into this switch when performing FSU/eFSU/xFSU because this is no different to ISSU where ISSU &/or FSU/eFSU/xFSU only works in "corner cases" or in a lab or demo.  ISSU &/or FSU/eFSU/xFSU is not known to work well in production.  

We tried eFSU on a stack of 9300 and it crashed the master.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card