cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extending VLANS accross Routed MAN

relder
Level 1
Level 1

We have 20+ VLANs on our main network, we have an offsite connected by metro GIG fiber ethernet.  Right now, we have a layer 2 connection to there with the core at the main site as the gateway.  We have had problems occationaly with the metro ethernet's spanning tree which then we would see our own network and cause an outage, not only for the offsite, but since the VLAN would see itself (not on our equipment but the metro ethernet carrier's) it would effect the main network as well. 

What I was going to do to resolve this was change the connection to a routed network, however I need to still send some VLANs over the routed network (there are some applications that require to be on the same subnet as the server).  Is there a way to Map the Vlan 10, and 11 at the main site to a vlan 10, and 11 at the remote site using a routed network?

I noticed there is something about bridging, would I bridge the VLAN accross the routed MAN connection?  Then would I bridge back the other way as well? 

Main site has a 6506E

and offsite has a 3750E

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Hi,

There is at least on solution : L2TP, but I think that 6500 and 3750 will not help you with that.

Dan

lessaid.a
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Relder,

The metro-Ethernet connection is to extend layer 2 and you shouldn't have this kind of problem.

You may use Q-in-Q vlans to avoid this kind of problems on the metro's Ethernet switch.

Otherwise, you may use EoMPLS ( Ethernet Over MPLS ) solutions.

Best regards,

--Lessaid

Lessaid,

Yes, I should not have this problems, but it does happen sometimes.  But the price is good which is why we stay.  We just want to shield ourselfs some when It does happen. 

It looks like EoMPLS might be the way to go.. 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/catalyst3750m/software/release/12.2_25_seg_seg1/configuration/guide/swmpls.pdf

Looks like they have a 3750 Metro Switch, might be alittle different then my 3750-E and 6506-E  But the idea seems to be what I wanted.. Layer 2 over layer 3 routing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco