cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FEX 2K monitoring by N5K - PSU, Temperature, ...

Adam Rimsky
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, we have an issue with dying PSUs of N2K and no SNMP traps about this by N5K.

N5K is configured with default settings:

snmp-server enable traps entity entity_mib_change
snmp-server enable traps entity entity_module_status_change
snmp-server enable traps entity entity_power_status_change
snmp-server enable traps entity entity_module_inserted
snmp-server enable traps entity entity_module_removed
snmp-server enable traps entity entity_unrecognised_module
snmp-server enable traps entity entity_fan_status_change
snmp-server enable traps entity entity_power_out_change

but in case of alert like

%SATCTRL-FEX105-2-SOHMS_DIAG_ERROR: FEX-105 Recovered: System minor alarm on power supply 1: failed
 %SATCTRL-FEX103-2-SOHMS_DIAG_ERROR: FEX-103 System minor alarm on power supply 1: removed
 %SATCTRL-FEX103-2-SOHMS_DIAG_ERROR: FEX-103 System minor alarm on power supply 1: inserted
 %SATCTRL-FEX103-2-SOHMS_DIAG_ERROR: FEX-103 Module 1: Runtime diag detected major event: Voltage failure on power supply: 1
 %SATCTRL-FEX103-2-SOHMS_DIAG_ERROR: FEX-103 System minor alarm on power supply 1: failed
%SATCTRL-FEX103-2-SOHMS_DIAG_ERROR: FEX-103 Recovered: System minor alarm on power supply 1: failed

we don't get any alert.

When I did debug of SNMP errors I see for test traps this error

# test pfm snmp test-trap powersupply

pfm_cli_test_snmp_trap_powersupply: Sent dummy/test POW SNMP Trap

# 2015 May 20 14:13:54.291526 snmpd: notif_log_notification: LogName NOT found

# test pfm snmp test-trap fan

pfm_cli_test_snmp_trap_fan: Sent dummy/test FAN SNMP Trap

# 2015 May 20 14:16:21.218894 snmpd: notif_log_notification: LogName NOT found

NX-OS version we run is  5.2(1)N1(3). Could you please help me find what is the issue?

Thank you.

1 Reply 1

antilope1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Adam,

I regret not to be able to answer you about why this message happens but what I can say is that I have this message too in my logs and I think it might be about a try to send a trap to the SNMP server and because a lack or mismatch with the snmp user, it can't send the trap to the server.

You see that it is a log notification error and it says logname not found.

In my case, I have N5548 with 5.2(1)N1(4) and my log shows:

2015 Nov 2 10:45:02.671833 snmpd: notif_log_notification : Logging new NOTIFICATION =

2015 Nov 2 10:45:02.671844 snmpd: notif_log_notification : Logging new NOTIFICATION limit 25 curr 0

2015 Nov 2 10:45:02.671857 snmpd: notif_log_notification: LogName NOT found

so I understand it is a process as a result of logname of user not existent in snmp server or something like this.

It is logical in my SNMP server because I still have not configured users to authenticate (able to send traps).

Well, I also opened a post, which is https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12692871/log-error-meaning-mon-2systemmsg, that includes another note. I find a repetitve message in my logs:

MON-2-SYSTEM_MSG: send/rx failed - syslog[3191]

and I infer it is due to the impossibility to send the trap to the SNMP server. What do you think? Do you have the same log message?

I hope this can help you.

Regards.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card