Views
Helpful
Replies

Firmware upgrade of Switch stack fails

Roland Theisen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a stack of 4 Cisco Switch 3750 (1 x WS-C3750G-24T, 2 x  WS-C3750-48P and 1 x WS-C3750V2-48PS) and I want to do an firmware upgrade of this stack. Actually, all the 4 switches are at the firmware version 12.2(50) SE1 "IPBase" and I want to upgrade them to 12.2(55)SE5 IPBase.

According to the release notes, all the switches in my stack are supported.

To upgrade the firmware, I use the command "archive download-sw /imageonly /overwrite tftp://IP_Address/c3750-ipbaselmk9-tar.122-55.SE5.tar"

The firmware gets uploaded correctly but then I get the error message "There is insufficient space in flash: to install the required image. Clean up some old images, and try again."

When I do a "show flash", I see that the switch has 5650944 bytes free of 15998976 bytes.

How can i upgrade my switches? Is there an error in my command which I use? Do I need to add an other option?

The problem is, the switches are located in a branch office and there is no direct access to them. Everything must be done remotely.

Thanks a lot in advanced.

Best regards,

Marc Hoffmann

3 Replies 3

from your image looks like its trying to download the image twice. can u please try again and once its copied. check the flash if the new image is already there. if yes, then ignore the message because the switch was trying to download the image twice perhaps...

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Also for me, I do not correctly understand why the switch downloads the image twice.

Today I also upgraded the firmware of Cisco Catalyst 3560-48PS switch and he also downloaded the firmware twice but then sucessfully extracted and installed the image!?

As you suggested, I checked the flash but i only see the "old" bin file on it (please refer to my attached screenshot)

What happens if I delete the "old" bin file on the each of the 4 switch and upload then the new bin file to them?

Is there any risk with this action? It is the main backbone switch!

Best regards,

Marc Hoffmann

What happens if I delete the "old" bin file on the each of the 4 switch and upload then the new bin file to them?

Is there any risk with this action? It is the main backbone switch!

I would be very careful with things like this especially in production devices..will wait to see if any others have any ideas as why the switch is behaving liek that. if you get no help here then raise a TAC case to find out why its doing this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card