Views
Helpful
Replies

Firstimer using Cisco Router

Bryan Librojo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I'm Khris, and im new in cisco routers, i never been using cisco routers before and now i have to work for it because i needed to.

i have cisco c887va-w-e-k9 router and its already reset to its default config. as in no configuration at all, im new in cisco thats why i read a couple of websites about cisco until i know some basic commands from youtube, and i dont know what is the certificate that i will see in the running config is important because it say that it was expired. what i want to be done is below

1. internet access

2. dhcp

3. wireless connection

i tried to configure the internet and dhcp, but i got a problem in dhcp, it does not release any ip on the network, to try the internet is working i put static ip address on lan and its working fine, my problem is the dhcp that is not providing any ip in the network. i reset again the router to make it clear.. is there anyone who can help me, i know my problem is not that difficult because what i really need to be done in my router is just a basic configuration. but like what i said, its my firs-time configuring a cisco router thats why im having a hard time on it...if there's anyone who have their spare time to help me is to much appreciated..sorry for my english...english is our second language. im looking forward for someone to help me with my problem..thanks cisco.

64 Replies 64

Hi Khris,

This is an example for the DHCP configuration

ip dhcp pool NETWORK-A-DHCP-SCOPE    <--- To create the DHCP scope
network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0    <--- DHCP for the network
default-router 192.168.1.1    <--- Default gateway of the subnet
dns-server 8.8.8.8 4.4.4.4     <--- DNS servers to be provided

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.1.1    <--- exclude the gateway or other IPs from the leasing.

* Take in consideration if it will configured on a router the DHCP scope will search the default gateway and it basically esta configured on a Interface.

interface g0/0
description NETWORK-A
ip add 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

The link below has example the configuration for NAT (to get Internet access), DHCP and others configs:

http://ganomi.com/index.php/10-cisco-887va-configuration

Hope the comment is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

thank you very much for the fast response...by the way how can i run this command i found it in your link

reset device config

en
conf t
erase nvram:
write default-config
reload

i try it but only erase nvram is working...sorry im not really familiar where i can put that lines..

Router#erase nvram:
Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all configuration files! Continue? [confirm]
[OK]
Erase of nvram: complete
Router#
Feb 6 09:51:17.196: %SYS-7-NV_BLOCK_INIT: Initialized the geometry of nvram
Router#
Router#
Router#write def
Router#write default-config
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Router#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
Router(config)#write def
Router(config)#write default-config
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Router(config)#

im lost haha sorry...im trying to reset it the same way into your link so i can have the default config

No worries my friend, it could vary for the IOS version (Cisco images), If you want to delete all the config, you can use:

Router# write erase
Router# reload

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

this are the interfaces that my router has

Router#sh ip int br   
Interface                             IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol
ATM0                                  unassigned YES unset administratively down down
Ethernet0                            unassigned YES unset administratively down down
FastEthernet0                     unassigned YES unset up up
FastEthernet1                     unassigned YES unset up down
FastEthernet2                     unassigned YES unset up down
FastEthernet3                     unassigned YES unset up down
Vlan1                                  unassigned YES unset up up
Wlan-GigabitEthernet0       unassigned YES unset up up
wlan-ap0                             unassigned YES unset administratively down down
Router#

Ok Apparently this router works with ether switchport, so you need to do the following:

vlan 10

interface fa0
switchport access vlan 10
switchport mode access

interface vlan 10
ip add 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
no shut

hello goodmorning Sir julio, below is my sho run config...for interfaces..kindly check if im doing right..thanks

interface FastEthernet0
switchport access vlan 10
no ip address
!
interface FastEthernet1
no ip address
!
interface FastEthernet2
no ip address
!
interface FastEthernet3
no ip address
!
interface Wlan-GigabitEthernet0
description Internal switch interface connecting to the embedded AP
no ip address
!
interface wlan-ap0
description Embedded Service module interface to manage the embedded AP
no ip address
!
interface Vlan1
no ip address
!
interface Vlan10
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
!
ip forward-protocol nd
no ip http server

the dhcp still not releasing out ip address in lan network... what is the use of import all command line in dhcp???

Router(config)#ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.3.1 192.168.3.99 
Router(config)#service dhcp
Router(config)#ip dhcp pool DHCP-POOL
Router(dhcp-config)#network 192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0
Router(dhcp-config)#default-router 192.168.3.1
Router(dhcp-config)#dns-server 192.168.3.1
Router(dhcp-config)#domain-name home.local
Router(dhcp-config)#import all
Router(dhcp-config)#exit
Router(config)#end

Hi

The default-router on the DHCP scope must match with the gateway, just modify the IP under the interface vlan 10:

interface Vlan10
ip address 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0

It should fix the problem

Please keep me posted

:-)

hi Sir,

sorry you misunderstand my post hehe... im not using the 192.168.3.1 i just copy it into the link that you gave me im just curious on the command "import all"...

my default gateway is the same in vlan its 192.168.1.1 but still it doesnt release ip in the network

Hi Bryan,

No worries, just a question is the PC connected to the port FastEthernet 0?

my connection is from cisco router fa0 to cisco switch(unmanaged) to my laptop..i also try to direct the LAN from fa0 to my laptop but the problem is the same..it doesnt give ip and the network is unidentified..thanks

Ok thank you, please configure the following and try again:

Router# configure terminal
Router(config)# service dhcp

i have that line command earlier when i create the dhcp.. you can see that after your first post... or do i need to run that line again???is there any changes if i run it again?

Hi Bryan,

The configuration looks good, please include the command: import all under the DHCP configuration.

Could you please provide me the output of show ip interface brief 

Thank you

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card