Views
Helpful
Replies

FlexLInk backup port Line Protocol is up

Miha_Man
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I have two stacking 2960x switches and I need to configure it with two ports active/standby. When one of it go down, second one is up. I configured primary port with Flex link, like this:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/5
switchport trunk native vlan 3
switchport trunk allowed vlan xxxx,xxxx
switchport mode trunk
switchport backup interface Gi2/0/5
switchport backup interface Gi2/0/5 preemption mode forced
switchport backup interface Gi2/0/5 preemption delay 50

So, if we do sho int gi 2/0/5 (backup port) command we can see that  Line protocol is UP.  

I don't wont that was Line protocol is UP on backup port.  I want backup port doesn't work, till primary port works.

How we can configure backup port, that would be Line protocol is down? So, is it really possible?

Thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

Hello

No that's the way Flex-link works, Why do you want the backup be in a admindown state?

If don't want to use a flex-link. - You can achieve the admin port down state with a EEM script if you really wanted to have a backup link like you've queried.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi,

Thank you for pointing to EEM idea. Really, no need Flex link if I would use script, but as I understood, cisco 2960x doesn't support EEM. Is it true? I have 2960x 15.2(2)E5 version and there aren't 'event manager' commands in configuration mode.

Hello

In that case then you may be able to utilize a user defined macro however never done a triggered macro before so please review the attach doc for possible examples: here

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi,

I  resolved  this case.

Firs of all I upgraded IOS to 15.2(6)E2 version. This IOS has EEM feature.

Secondly, I configured "event manager session cli username "USERtest" privilege 15" command, because tacacs authentication server was configured. 

Then I configured event manager applet for two conditions. If primary port is up, do backup port down. If backup port is up, do primary port to down state. Some config here:

event manager session cli username "USERtest" privilege 15
event manager applet If_Primary-port_Down
event syslog pattern "Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1, changed state to down"
action 0001 cli command "en"
action 0002 cli command "conf t"
action 0003 cli command "int gi2/0/1"
action 0004 cli command "no shutdown"

event manager applet If_Primary-port_UP
event syslog pattern "Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1, changed state to up"
action 0001 cli command "en"
action 0002 cli command "conf t"
action 0003 cli command "int gi2/0/1"
action 0004 cli command "shutdown"

Hope it will useful for smbd.

Paul, thank you for pointing and attached files! It was helpful to resolve this case.

Best reguards, Mikhail.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card