Views
Helpful
Replies

Forwarding issue with RVS4000

linuxmad1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am having a major issue with forward ports, let me start from the beginning. I have a RVS4000 witch is setup with vlans to two other switches and these are working great but i have a server on one vlan and the other machines on the other vlan. When i setup port forwarding on 53 and try to telnet to the bind server with my external ip it does not work but with my internally ip it works. I have tried port scanning my ip and it say 80 open even through i have not set the firewall to access port 80 and every port it tried was closed when i know i opened the port on the firewall ( but i do know that 80 is for web browsing ). I have tried my netgear FVS318 i originally had setup and it work fine. Is there something else i need to do has its been doing my head in and i have gone through all the settings and nothing makes a difference.

Many thanks

Paul

19 Replies 19

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

from where are you trying to access the public ip of bind server? if it is from your LAN it won't work on this router model.

You'll have to use enterprise level model like 800,1800 with a special setting like nat on a stick or hairpinning to achieve it though.

if it is from outside then can you post diagram and config of the router as well as of the switches.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi Alain,

Well originally i was trying to setup a openvz server with a few vps's, one of which is the dns server for resolving the ip's i host. I had a major issue with it and look on the net said try telnet to the dns server, i did this and thats where it didn't connect even through i setup the firewall to do this external 53 => vps internal ip 53. I have just checked it now and and the test domain i setup is resolving fine without having the nameserver has the internal vps ip.

Thanks anyway!

But telneting to the external ip still don't connect but the domain resolves!

Hi so telnetting to external ip from inside doesn't work? if so that's normal, telnetting by name works because the router is doing dns doctoring but by IP you would need nat on a stick feature which is not supported on this model.

Regards.

Alain.

Hi,

Yeh i am doing the telnet from inside my network!, Oh ok No worries. I just tried it to see if i get a response about if the 53 was really open.

Thank you very much for the info.

Hi again,

I check when i got to work and the i can get the apache test page, but when i got home it does the same as i said at the post at the bottom of this thread. Is this the same as you described above about you can not connect to the external ip from inside my network as it looks like the case. I have even checked it through google translate and a friend of mind has to and the apache test page appears, so it works outside my network but access the ip inside my network does not.

Thanks

linuxmad1
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry i looks like it works now.

hi,

cool!

Alain.

Hi again,

When accessing my external ip without port 80 forwarded the admin login comes up even through the remote management is disabled, then when i do forward port 80 it looks like its going to connect then problem loading page appears but the admin login does not appear not at but my webserver test page appears when selecting the internal ip.

Does this sound like a problem with the router? oh plus i have downloaded the updated fimware but the firmware upgrade selection box is greyed out?

Thanks

Hi,

I don't understand what you mean, can you be clearer please?

Alain.

Hi,

When you said that rvs 4000 you can not connect to your own public ip via telnet, is this the same as connecting to services. When i connect to my public ip without port forwarding on for 80 the router login prompt appears, but once forward port 80 is on the router login prompt does not appear but it looks like its connecting but problem loading page appears. I left the port forwarding on 80 and when i got to work i tried my public ip and the apache test page appeared GREAT!!. When i am at home it does not work which i can remember once it did work through my public ip at home. I just wondered when you said about the nat on the stick feature i thought it could of been that, but i just remembered that it was working once before i had the problems. Is there something i am messing that enables use of the public ip through the firewall etc, to access other services i.e. webserver port 80? apart from port forwarding and its only when accessing my public ip from inside my network.

Also when i downloaded the new firmware for the router and went to the upgrade firmware page on the router, the box to select the .img file is greyed out?.

P.S the remote management is not enable either even through it runs on 8080, so i do not know why the router login is appearing when port 80 is not forwarded through the firewall.

Thanks

Hi,

I said that on this model afaik it is not possible to access a public ip of a server on a LAN from the LAN but you can access this IP from the WAN. Have you got problems accessing it from the WAN?

Alain.

Hi,

Well when my friend or me ( at work ) access my domain which resolves to my home public ip

the apache test page appears, but when i am on at home and i enter my domain or public ip into the browser i get "problem loading page". :S

Thanks

Hi,

you surely have a dynamic public IP assigned by DHCP and if you want to access this IP by name from outside you must use DYNDNS service.

http://packetlife.net/blog/2009/dec/28/dynamic-dns-ios/

Regards.

Alain.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card