Views
Helpful
Replies

Going from 2 x t1's to 8x T1's on remote router

Jonnyballgame34
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a cisco 2911 VPN router at a critical remote site and I need to update it.  Currently it has two bonded T1's, on two single serial cards, (will paste hardware below).

I recently shipped the site two 4 port Wics so that it can be moved up to 8 bonded T1's.   My question is regarding the install since it is remote and because I have don't have lab equipment to refresh myself on.    I also have no OOB access to bring the router back up if it fails, so  I need to get it right the first time.  So I"m thinking,

-I don't need to enter slot-card commands because I already have t1 cards there,I'm just going from a single to a quad, is that correct? 

What is the best and safest way to do this?  I haven't done a T! install in a lifetime, I'm thinking

1) Have site remove one leave WIC#1 in place and replace WIC #2 with the 4 port card

2) power up 

3) I should still have connectivity over WIC #1, so I can login, add the interfaces from the new WIC #2 to the multilink bundle and bring them up

4) Power down, this time replace the WIC #1 with it's 4 port replacement?

Ist that the best, or ever working solution? 

Thanks, 

Cisco CISCO2911/K9 (revision 1.0) with 483328K/40960K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FTX1620ALBS
3 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
2 Serial interfaces
1 terminal line
1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity enabled.
255K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
250880K bytes of ATA System CompactFlash 0 (Read/Write)

NAME: "CISCO2911/K9 chassis", DESCR: "CISCO2911/K9 chassis"
PID: CISCO2911/K9 , VID: V05 , SN: FTX1620ALBS

NAME: "WAN Interface Card - HWIC CSU/DSU on Slot 0 SubSlot 0", DESCR: "WAN Interface Card - HWIC CSU/DSU"
PID: HWIC-1DSU-T1 , VID: V02 , SN: FOC16145USZ

NAME: "WAN Interface Card - HWIC CSU/DSU on Slot 0 SubSlot 1", DESCR: "WAN Interface Card - HWIC CSU/DSU"
PID: HWIC-1DSU-T1 , VID: V02 , SN: FOC16146HWR

NAME: "C2911 AC Power Supply", DESCR: "C2911 AC Power Supply"
PID: PWR-2911-AC , VID: V04 , SN: DCA1608R36P

USFTMRTVP001#show ip int brief
Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol
Embedded-Service-Engine0/0 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down down
GigabitEthernet0/0 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down down
GigabitEthernet0/1 10.87.228.2 YES NVRAM up up
GigabitEthernet0/2 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down down
Serial0/0/0 unassigned YES NVRAM up up
Serial0/1/0 unassigned YES NVRAM up up
Loopback0 10.87.254.63 YES NVRAM up up
Multilink1 63.xxxxxx YES NVRAM up

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Before you make any hardware changes, I recommend you read to release note for the module you are installing to make sure your current IOS can support the new cards.  Often times when you replace the card and turn on the router, the module is not recognized by the system because the IOS is not compatible with it. Also, if the module is recognized by the system there is no need for any slot-card command.

Also, before powering down the router, you may want to break the multilink bundle.  This way, you know for sure one of the T1s is working and you can logon using one of them and see is the router recognized the module. If all working as expected, you can power down the router and install the second one.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card