Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest Wifi configuration.

momarm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I've have not done much configuration and never did wifi at all. So I wanted to to get the abc's of configurations guest wifi on a switch. We have multiple locations so at other locations we have a VLAN99 assigned for guest wifi, but I dont understand the following:
Do I need to define a DHCP scope for that vlan, also where will the connected devices be getting the ip's? We have AT&T routers, so would that be the source of ip's? if so do I need to add the port the router is connected to the VLAN99 for it to work?

One of the switches at another site where wifi does work has the VLAN99 but no ports assigned to it BUT there isa  dhcp scope defined for guest wifi:
Pool ***AP*GUEST :
192.168.100.49 192.168.100.1 - 192.168.100.254 0 / 164 / 254

So how does that work? Any help is greatly appropriated!

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Yes, for guest wifi, there needs to be a vlan and DHCP scope, so when guest users click on the guest SSID, the can get an IP address. You also need to provide DNS, so they can browse the Internet.  For DNS, you can simply provide an external DNS like 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.  If you don't have a wireless controller, you can use the AT&T router to provide that functionality, this is if that router can work as an AP. For more info on wifi guest configuration, see this document

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-vlan/70937-guest-internal-wlan.html

HTH

Yes understood. We do have a WC. I wanted to confirm how to setup the VLAN for this, do I need to assigned ports to this VLAN correct? Since some of our sites do have ports assigned and some dont so I was confused, whether I do have to and which ports would those be that I need to add tot his VLAN.

Since some of our sites do have ports assigned and some dont so I was confused, whether I do have to and which ports would those be that I need to add tot his VLAN.

Yes, that is the confusing part.  I would say assign a port in the same vlan to the AP.  So, if the guest vlan is, for example, vlan 60, assign the same vlan to the APs. This way you use the same subnet/vlan for both the users and for the AP management.

HTH 

ok so the ports that I need to assign to guest wifi vlan is the one that is connected to the WC or the AT&T router?

It is hard to tell without a diagram but I think yes.

HTH 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card