cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hello! Internet works only on one device out of 3

mxl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! The Internet works only on one device out of 3, in the manual I can’t find out about it! I would be glad to advice on my question.

my switch cisco sg250-08

Thank you

mxl

38 Replies 38

Hello,

most of the lower end switches do not support NAT. You need to check the specs for each device.

That said, if your three clients are Windows clients, you might not need a router, but get away with Internet Connection Sharing (see the link below).

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-connection-sharing-in-windows-10/f6dcac4b-5203-4c98-8cf2-dcac86d98fb9

Hello,

to open the general access is dangerous, I think. If I understand correctly, then the specification should say that the switch supports NAT? I noticed that NAT supports few devices. Maybe there is a special NAT adapter?

Thank you!  

mxl

Hello,

what do you mean by NAS in this specific context ?

Hello!

Oh sorry, i mean NAT.

mxl

Hello,

I guess the Internet Sharing with Windows clients (if you have those) might indeed not be the safest solution in the world. That said, what do you actually want to do (with the SG switch) ? Why don't you just get a small Internet router ?

Hello @Georg Pauwen 

@Georg Pauwen wrote:

Hello,

I guess the Internet Sharing with Windows clients (

Correct ICS is the option , I have used this many times for soho topologys and its very useful.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

@paul driver I don't fully remember how ICS works to be honest, but don't you need multiple NICs ?

Hello
Yes you do, but this usually nowadays this isn't a issue as most pc/laptops have dual wired and wireless nics .
The internet pc will become the gateway for the ICS clients who will obtain dhcp allocation from the ICS pc, I have in the long past  even ran a web server off this design, but it isn’t really recommended especially nowadays.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello! 

I wanted a small and customizable communicator, I wanted to more or less control my home network of several computers, I have no experience with networks, apparently I chose the wrong communication device.

Sincerely,

mxl

Hello!

"I guess the Internet Sharing with Windows clients (if you have those) might indeed not be the safest solution in the world. That said, what do you actually want to do (with the SG switch) ? Why don't you just get a small Internet router ?"

and I need all my devices to have a different ip address

Sincerely,

mxl

Hello
If you don’t have a router to perform NAT but you have at least one pc that has internet access and all pcs are connected to a switch then in this case you should NOT require to purchase a router to provide internet to the other two pcs.

The pc that has the internet access should be able to do this for you.

Can you confirm what operating system the pc are running on?

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello!

My home network looks like this >> cable from my internet provider>> switch sg250>> my main computer (Windows10) is connected to the switch via a cable, that has Internet >> another computer is connected to the switch via a cable, there is no Internet >> another computer connected to the switch via cable, no internet.

Sincerely,

mxl

Hello

On the internet pc post open the command prompt start/run cmd
getmac /v

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello! 

Thx for 

getmac /v  command, but

I need the Internet to be on regardless of whether my main computer is on or off.

Sincerely,

mxl

Hello! 

I thought that the level 3 switch sg250 already has the same technology as the router, it looks like I was mistaken with the choice of the connected device..

Sincerely,

mxl

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card