cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with my Lab

blacksayien
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure this is a question for this forum,but i will ask anyway.I have 2 2501's,1 2502, and a 1912 switch.My problem is as follows,with my laptop setup running win2000pro,i can run hyperterminal and it comes up fine without internet connection.My desk top runs winxp and its connected to the cable (optiminonline).When i try and set up the 2501 router via console port and com3 then try hyperterminal with the following settings,9600,8,none,1 and none nothing happens,when i type at and hit enter i get an OK acknowledgement.Is there something different when i do it with my laptop and no internet connection as opposed to my desktop with internet connection? help please.

5 Replies 5

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

It sounds very much like your desktop PC is not talking to the router at all, but to its own internal modem. The "OK" response is typical of a modem. Try reconfiguring Hyperterminal to use COM1 or COM2 instead.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hello Kevin and thanks for the fast response this is killing me with needless down time trying to figure out why i cannot connect to my routers with xp and broadband cable/dsl.You said try and reconfigure hyperterminal but when i tried i get so many different com numbers, they increment up, i.e. 3,4,5,6, etc.Now what? My desktop is a dell diminsion 8400 brand new.

I can only guess, so try each one in turn. COM3 definitely seems to be your internal modem. One of them will be the serial connector - usually it's COM1 or COM2.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Thank you Kevin, and i will try all of them,and let you know what happend

hey Kevin guess what i got it up and running.the problem was i was connected to another computer via broadband/cable/dsl with only one connection,so i finally decided to unhook my desktop and reconfigure the com port (3) and it worked like a charm,so it must be my internet connection.Now if i want to connect using my internet connection and givin the past problems what would you suggest? thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card