cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with redistributing Vlans Through OSPF

teejay1719
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys i have been stuck for awhile on trying to redistribute Vlans through OSPF. Ive struggled for awhile now and im still confused. Could i upload my packet tracer file and if possible could you point out where im going wrong? I have added the vlans where they should be and given them IP, have added the subinterfaces and still it refuses to ping :( am i missing a step somewhere? Please help guys!

*edit

Cant upload packet tracer files but here is the image of what it looks like :S

*edit 

i added the packet tracer in a zip as its an allowed format :)

FinalTopology

7 Replies 7

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Could you define what you believe redistributing a VLAN through OSPF means?

All i want is the pcs on either side to have connectivity with different vlans configured for each one, i guess i believe it to be able to see the tagged traffic, detag it, then send it on its way, retag it and then send it to its destination... Is that not right? :S 

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

OK, I think I understand.

If I do, what you want to do is trunk your VLANs to your routers and have a subinterface, one per VLAN, on the router interface.  You then make all the router interfaces "known" to OSPF.

You also need to insure your hosts "know" their local router gateway address.

BTW, at the sites with multiple VLANs, each should have its own subnet.

thank you for replying again! :)

So when you say make the router interfaces "known" to OSPF is that by the network x.x.x.x 0.0.0x area x command? i have trunked the interfaces to the routers and have setup all the subinterfaces, i just am confused as to how i make them known to OSPF. 
At present i cant ping from any PC to the router Gateway, which used to happen before added these vlans. 

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, using OSPF network statement is one way.

Try network <interface IP> 255.255.255.255 area #

Hi Joseph,

I have checked your config your default gateway and PCs IP address are not in same subnet and you need to advertise the network you have assigned to SVI.

i have placed the PC ip addresses  in the same subnet as the routers gateway havent i? the PC

ip = 172.16.10.1

Subnet = 255.255.255.240

Gateway - 172.16.10.10

Router fa0/0 (gateway for PC)

ip = 172.16.10.10

subnet = 255.255.255.240

Is this correct? and i have placed the interfaces into OSPF but instead of using the *255.255.255.255* i used *0.0.0.15 area 0* as this is the wildcard mask for the Vlans address. i have also shared the pc networks into OSPF. Everything i have should work up to my knowledge but im only a student so im not completely sure its all correct!!! Hope you guys can help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card