cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How should I configure my Motorola SBG6580 for use with a Cisco router/switch (model #'s inside)

JoshJ5Hawk1
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys, double ended question here. I got a killer deal at work on a Cisco 2821 ISR a Cisco 2950 24 port switch (Layer 2) ($60 for the pair).

I currently have the setup *working* but I feel it's not quite right. I still have my SBG6580 (Cable Modem) in router mode, because if I flip it over to bridge mode, I lose everything. I have NAT setup on my Cisco Router, as well as a DHCP server. When I do have the setup deployed (currently not using it, as I'm working to get it in a location that isn't my bedroom floor) everything works perfectly fine (including using the DHCP pool on the 2821, somehow. Because from my limited knowledge, double NAT and double DHCP is a very bad thing.

The next question is how do I go about port forwarding with my 2821, instead of my surfboard. The main reason I *am* choosing to use the 2821 instead of just popping the switch on the network, is well, it's more fun (and from what I've read, using a single command to set up the Port Forwarding is faster/easier that screwing with the SBG6580)! I have seen some information about port forwarding around, but I figure since I'm asking the one question, I might as well throw both in.

Thank you all for your time

1 Reply 1

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi put the modem back into bridge mode and follow this doc for port forwarding on cisco side it should work for you

http://www.firewall.cx/cisco-technical-knowledgebase/cisco-routers/260-cisco-router-nat-overload.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card