Helpful
Replies

how to find a host

zimmerli
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have one 4006 and 6 2950.

How can I find a host on my network (Switch an port)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

you need to have either the IP address or the MAC address of the host you are looking for. Check the ARP table (on your Layer 3 device or router) for the IP to MAC address mapping, then check the mac address table on your switch(es) for the port that MAC address is connected to. This can be cumbersome when there are trunk links involved, you basically need to track the MAC address down to where it is connected to only one access port.

HTH,

GP

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello,

you need to have either the IP address or the MAC address of the host you are looking for. Check the ARP table (on your Layer 3 device or router) for the IP to MAC address mapping, then check the mac address table on your switch(es) for the port that MAC address is connected to. This can be cumbersome when there are trunk links involved, you basically need to track the MAC address down to where it is connected to only one access port.

HTH,

GP

aolverso
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Also, if your switches support it, the trace mac command can be a life save once you know the mac address of the host in question. It will show you the complete path from switch to switch until it finds the access port the host resides on.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card