Views
Helpful
Replies

How To Force HSRP Election Process

CSCO12001340
Level 1
Level 1

Hi !

Is there any way to force the HSRP election process ? I want to change the Standby router (A) to become Active. I am changing the priority value on B to 10 , but it is not falling over to Router B ?

Router A config

standby 1 ip 10.10.27.1

Router B config

standby 1 ip 10.10.27.1
standby 1 priority 120
standby 1 preempt
!

11 Replies 11

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Since the priority is higher and preemption is enable router-b should take over.

Can you post the output of "sh standby" and the HSRP interface running configs from both routers?

HTH

Hi,

Currently Router B is active and Router A is standby

I know priority is higher so what i am doing is i am configuring Router B as :

standby 1 priority 10

But it is not failing over to Router A ?

Is preemption enabled on router-A?

Nope...All standby configuration as shown above.

If you want to fail over to router-A, you need to have preemption enabled

Hi Reza !

Oops I know it wrong ? I know what preempt is ;

For example If for any reason router B is down and preemption is enabled on router B, router A becomes Active. And when router B is back, that becomes active again.

So what you say is that I need to enable Router A for both router all the time then ?

yes, you need preemption enbled

Hi

By default the priority is 100, (if you dont configure any priority it will set up 100). The active will be selected with the highest priority. 

If you want router A as active, you should have someting like:

Router A

interface f0/0
ip address 10.10.27.2 255.255.255.248
standby 1 priority 125
standby 1 preempt
standby 1 ip 10.10.27.1
no shut

Router B

interface f0/0
ip address 10.10.27.3 255.255.255.248
standby 1 priority 120
standby 1 preempt
standby 1 ip 10.10.27.1
no shut

*Take in consideration that this network should be in communication in order to activated the HSRP, it could be through routing protocols. 

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi thanks but this is not what i really look for :) I am talking about in a live,production network. But anyway thanks !

Reza has given the answer ie. you need to enable preempt on router A.

Jon

That is correct, As Reza mentioned previously, if you configure preempt and highest priority (like 121 or more) Router A will be change the status to active. Remember this standby should has communication between them to work. In order to see the HSRP status you can execute:

show ip standby 1

I suggest change it during maintenance window and you can verify the proper functionability. 

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: