cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Link two switches?

Oybek5557
Level 1
Level 1

How to connect two switches by accessing one switch to get access to configure both switches?

Like VSS

7 Replies 7

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
if i understand you right you would need to have switches that are either stacked or have VSS capability , both styles require certain hardware , what platforms are you working with ?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Like VSS (but not VSS)? Then as Mark notes, you can interconnect stackable switches, generally using dedicated stacking ports and stacking cables, and the multiple switches in the stack will be configured as one logical switch.

Some older Cisco switches supported a clustering technology, that would allow (I think I recall) multiple switches to be configured as one switch. I also recall (?), such clusters used ordinary ports and cables.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks. Let me try to do so)

Hello

Just like to add to Joesph comments -
I have used clustering quite a lot in times when for some reason we have lost remote ip connectivity to a certain switch but we do have access to its directly connected neighbor.

In these cases ive have just enabled clustering on the neighboring switch and gained access via L2 which then enabled me to fix the problematic switch.

The only down side its an old feature and as such not all switch platforms support it.

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

sorry, can you make it clear for me.

Clustering can be done between different models of switch with different version of OS?

Thanks in advance

@Oybek5557 wrote:

Clustering can be done between different models of switch with different version of OS?

Yes.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card