Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to route a VPLS enabled VLAN on Cat9500

We have been using VPLS on Cat6880 as shown below in PE1 and PE2. PE1 is routing traffic destined out of the VLAN.

After replacing Cat6880 with Cat9500 (16.12.01c) we are no longer able to configure an IP address on the SVI. When trying, the following error message is returned: Incompatible with xconnect command on Vl133 - command rejected.

So with the Cat9500 we are no longer able to configure a gateway address on the router doing VPLS. I have considered a loop cable in and out on the same chassis, trunking the VPLS VLANs to another interface Vlan through a bridge group, but that is a hack I hope to avoid. Don't even know if it's possible.

Anyone familiar with how this gateway issue is supposed to be solved on this platform?

PE1
---------------------------------------
l2 vfi 133 manual
vpn id 133
neighbor 10.0.1.5 encapsulation mpls
!
interface Vlan133
vrf forwarding CLIENT
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp
xconnect vfi 133

PE2
l2 vfi 133 manual
vpn id 133
neighbor 10.0.1.8 encapsulation mpls
!
interface Vlan133
xconnect vfi 133

3 Replies 3

CGEvans
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Havard, did you find a solution to this, or did you end up with the loop cable hack?

Hi, I discovered Cisco will be supporting this in an already planned release, so I haven't paid more attention to the issue.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, that's helpful. Do you know where you read/heard about the future support? I'm wondering if this will be supported on 9300 as well. As it will be supported on the 9500 it sounds like a software rather than hardware limitation. It doesn't appear that EVPN over MPLS support is there either which is a shame.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card