cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to upgrade ios of raouter 2911 with no losing data configuration

amralrazzaz
Level 5
Level 5

hi all i need to know how to upgrade my ios router and he u are the following show version :

Router#show version
Cisco IOS Software, C2900 Software (C2900-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.4(3)M1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2014 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Sat 25-Oct-14 03:34 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 15.0(1r)M16, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 1 week, 6 days, 3 hours, 6 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload at 08:19:07 UTC Wed May 9 2018
System restarted at 10:32:34 UTC Wed May 9 2018
System image file is "flash0:c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.154-3.M1.bin"
Last reload type: Normal Reload
Last reload reason: Reload Command

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com.

Cisco CISCO2911/K9 (revision 1.0) with 483328K/40960K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FCZ190360AM
3 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
1 terminal line
8 Voice FXO interfaces
DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity enabled.
255K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
255488K bytes of ATA System CompactFlash 0 (Read/Write)

License Info:

License UDI:

-------------------------------------------------
Device# PID SN
-------------------------------------------------
*1 CISCO2911/K9 FCZ190360AM

Technology Package License Information for Module:'c2900'

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technology Technology-package Technology-package
Current Type Next reboot
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipbase ipbasek9 Permanent ipbasek9
security None None None
uc uck9 Permanent uck9
data None None None
NtwkEss None None None
CollabPro None None None

Configuration register is 0x2102

now i have some calrifications:

1- whats the latest ios of router 2911 (what is already installed is c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.154-3.M1.bin ?

2- if i upgrade to the new ios i should erase the old one or it will overwrite ? if the router asked me do u want erase flash what should i choose?

3- after ios upgrading the configuration data file of router will be erased ?

4- from where i can download free ios of router ?

thanks

amr alrazzaz
11 Replies 11

Hulk8647
Level 1
Level 1

1. The latest upgrade is 15.7. You have 15.4

2. You dont have to erase the old IOS, it can stay as long as you have enough space. It shouldn't ask you to erase anything. But either way, you should say no

3. Nothing will be erased. Unless the new IOS patch does not support some old features of the older patch, then those simply will disappear. Given your current version, you should be all OK.

4. It's not free. You'll need a valid contract number from cisco to download IOS. You download it from Cisco.com. (unless you're thinking off illegally downloading from other sources)

To upgrade the IOS, you'll need to first download it from cisco. Configure your router for either FTP or TFTP to upload the IOS file to your router's flash, once done, you'll configure it further to boot to the new IOS with one command.

dears may i ask quick question about the isr 2911 router that i have ??

1- can i still upgrade the ios image of the router to latest c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.157-3.M4b.bin ??

2- can i upgrade the ccme version from 10.5 to latest 12.5 ?

3- can i upgrade the dram and flash memory ?

i already know the EOL expired but some still supporting ? so any of what i mentioned above i can do it now ?

amr alrazzaz

Hello

@amralrazzaz wrote:

hi all i need to know how to upgrade my ios router and he u are the following show version :

now i have some calrifications:

1- whats the latest ios of router 2911 (what is already installed is c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.154-3.M1.bin ? 
c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.157-3.M4b.bin

2- if i upgrade to the new ios i should erase the old one or it will overwrite ? if the router asked me do u want erase flash what should i choose?  No only choose yes if you dont have enough memory to install the new ios

3- after ios upgrading the configuration data file of router will be erased ? No

4- from where i can download free ios of router ? here

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

1- can i still upgrade the ios image of the router to latest c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.157-3.M4b.bin ??

2- can i upgrade the ccme version from 10.5 to latest 12.5 ?

3- can i upgrade the dram and flash memory ?

i already know the EOL expired but some still supporting ? so any of what i mentioned above i can do it now ?

amr alrazzaz

@amralrazzaz wrote:

1- can i still upgrade the ios image of the router to latest c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.157-3.M4b.bin ??  YES

2- can i upgrade the ccme version from 10.5 to latest 12.5 ?If you have the enough dram and flash memory to support it then YES

3- can i upgrade the dram and flash memory ? YES  it look like you have the space for upgrading - here

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

many thanks sir 

may i ask again regarding the memory upgrade :

• 512MB to 2.5GB DRAM Upgrade (2GB+512MB) for Cisco 2901-2921 ( upgrade the DRAM OF 2911)   MEM-2900-512U2.5GB
  • 256MB to 2GB Compact Flash Upgrade for Cisco 1900,2900,3900 (FLASH MEMORY UPDARGE FOR 2911)    MEM-CF-256U2GB

for example these part mentioned out of sale ? so still i can purchase them ? or what ?

amr alrazzaz

I would say ebay would be a  good bet

Kind Regards
Paul

dear whats the difference between 

ProductCME-UL
Product DescriptionCisco Communication Manager Express (CME) - 1 User License

and 

ProductCON-ECMU-CMEULCTG
Product DescriptionSWSS UPGRADES Cisco Communication Manager Express (CME

because i need to upgrade the ccme license and i dont know what difference ? and cme when i upgrade it i should pay for each ip cisco phone a cme 12.5 ? i already have the smartnet license for all phone or srst 25 seats so need to understand please

amr alrazzaz

Dears

i need your support to know if i still can upgrade the ccme 10.5 to 12.5 for example ???

i have 2911 ISR router and i dont know if still i can upgrage the cme or not becuase the router i have is EOL and i dont have budget for this year to replacement

thanks 

please confirm 

amr alrazzaz

Hello team, I am going to upgrade IOS of the cisco 2911/k9 router from the current version 15.1(4)M3 to the new cisco suggested version 15.7(3)M, Please help with an upgrade path. 

Can I upgrade it directly?

Hello

The release notes would usually tell you if you need to install a intermediate IOS before the final one, however as this rtr isn't supported anymore, not sure this information is available, If the recommended flash memory is the same , I would go for a straight upgrade and see if it works, obviously backup you rtr beforehand and if possible keep both old and new IOS on the flash so you can boot to the old one if the upgrade fails.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card