Views
Helpful
Replies

How to verify the Link is L2 or L3

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi

How to verify the Link is indeed L2 or L3 Link (sees the Functionality) , CDP isn't an  enough Proof , since L3 Link can be discovered using CDP,

thanks

Ibrahim

5 Replies 5

Raju Sekharan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ibrahim,

A link is always operates at  physical layer( layer 1)

The devices at the end of link decides if the communication is  L2 or l3

If you want to check L3 functionality, you need to check if some L3 level coomuniation is happening between them

CDP won't help, As per my knowledge,  configuring an IP address at both sides and pinging is the easy way to check the L3 functionality

Thanks

Raju

rais
Level 7
Level 7

An L3 connection would have layer-3 address on both sides of the link. An L3 link could consist of one or more L2 links.

Hi

does sh mac-add-table add <48 bit> [48 bit is an address of server exist at DCI-2] gives a proof of the L2 Function between 2 DCI

thanks

ibrahim

That command is just telling you which port that servers MAC is showing up on.  I am assuming you want to see if the the port on the switch is a L2 port or L3 port.  You can runn the following command, "show runn interface port#".  If you get something like below that means that port is a L3 port:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/11

no switchport

ip address 192.168.2.2 255.255.255.0

ip hello-interval eigrp 10 1

ip hold-time eigrp 10 3

speed 1000

duplex full

end

Hi Ibrahim,

It proves L2 communication in one direction. From DCI-2 to switch.( I assume this is dynamically learned MAC)

There is stil a possibility of communication failure in other direction. From Switch to DCI-2

Thanks

raju

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card