cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how we can increase CPU utilization to max(above 90%) for cisco switch 2960? IOS switch.

Jagzz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

For my testing, I needs to increase my cisco switch CPU utilization to more then 90%. Could someone can help me? what are the possibility ways to increase?

I have tried with "debug all", once i passed the commend, i could not able to establish the connection with switch.

Then if i connect back after few hours i can see CPU utilization 5% last 5min.

I want switch should be stay 90% CPU utilization log time.

Could someone assist me how i can archive this condition?

8 Replies 8

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Why?

Reason I ask, what you're asking for might be used as a DoS (denial of service) attack.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

What are trying to accomplish with high CPU usage?

You can create loop but connecting 2 ports together and turning of STP but not sure if you can access the switch.

HTH

Hello

Attach two links between two switches in the same vlan, create L3 svi for that vlan on each switch then disable spanning-tree for that vlan and initiate a ping to the ip address for that vlan, or just have those two same links set as trunks with stp disabled, either way that should do the trick!

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi, I also wanted to increase CPU utilization of my cisco switch (Cisco Catalyst C9300) for which I tried disabling STP which did increase CPU utilization to about 40%, however every time it resulted in losing my SNMP connection to which my monitoring tool and switch were connected, hence I am unable to further monitor the switch (for throughput etc). Can you help me out with why it keeps losing connection and how can I maintain it or any other suggestions that you have. 

Below is the link for reference for the question I posted. Your help will be much appreciated. TIA.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/other-network-architecture-subjects/need-help-in-increasing-cpu-utilization-for-cisco-switch/td-p/4908233

Why the new reply here?

". . . I tried disabling STP which did increase CPU utilization to about 40%, however every time it resulted in losing my SNMP connection to which my monitoring tool and switch were connected, hence I am unable to further monitor the switch (for throughput etc). Can you help me out with why it keeps losing connection and how can I maintain it or any other suggestions that you have."

Well, yea, when you push CPU up, control-plane functions, like SNMP, tend to "break".

What are you trying to accomplish?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You want to generate high CPU? Easy: STP Loop

Thanks for the replay.

How we can do STP loop?

Hello

See my previous post -  basically disabling spanning-tree and having dual links interconnected between two switches as trunks

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card