jonk34567
Level 4
Level 4

can Hub be identified by CDP or LLDP ?

6 Replies 6

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
maybe LLDP but not CDP that can only see Cisco devices is a Cisco only discovery protocol , the HUB would need to be able to understand LLDP messages though to respond

i didnt get it.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
It would depend on the hub (for example, I think it would need to be a manageable hub [if such can still be found]), and possibly, how the hub is configured (might require a management IP).

Don't believe Cisco has made a hub in years, and so if you found one, very unlikely it would support LLDP.

Likewise, doubtful you find any other vendor still making manageable hubs, but if they did, they might support LLDP.

the problem is CDP and LLDP are layer 2 protocols while Hub operates in Layer 1 so there is no anyway Hub can be identified via CPD or LLDP. am i correct ?

Some Hubs are smart hubs (managed) as Joseph stated and do understand certain types of traffic so pining them as just layer 1 is only if there completely unmanaged hubs , no gui or cli access

No, you're not correct.

Mark has already answered this, but understand CDP and/or LLDP deal with the possible management plane of a device, not its data plane.

Once upon a time there were large chassis hub switches, that could also support things like RMON and or SNMP.

Likewise, with switches. A "dumb" switch would also not support CDP or LLDP, but a manageable switch could.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card