cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I know nothing about networking but have to add a switch and subnet - Cisco 2821

alexoncisco
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco 2821 V/K9 Router.  We are having security cameras installed in our building that are connected to a Green net Trendent PoE+ Switch TPE-T80H.  I have been told to get those cameras connected to our network using subnet 25 - those are my instructions.  I think I first have to connect the switch to our network, correct?  How in the world do I do that????  Even if that isn't the first step, I'm assuming it will have to be done at some point.  PLEASE Help!

6 Replies 6

adawa
Level 3
Level 3

Hello, Alex.

What kind/model of security camera are required to to connect? Are they IP based? Connecting them to a Layer 3 switch may help you route connection to your 2821. Let me know if you have additional concerns or e-mail (adawa@cisco.com). Kind regards. 

Cameras are IP based (thus the reason for the .25 subnet I assume) and the model is Watchnet.  The cameras connect to a Trendent PoE+ switch TPE-T80H.  I believe I have to connect that switch to the 2821 using the subnet.  I'm assuming I plug the switch into a port, can it be a regular LAN port such as those our PCs are plugged into?    So I have to know how to get into the 2821, look at the current configuration and then change the configuration as appropriate.

You will have to create another VLAN and configure routing to enable them to communicate with each other.

You need to know the management address of the switch, then you can remotely connect, there are ways to determine this over the network if you don't, but if this is the case your better off connecting directly to the switch via the console port. You should be prompted for a password (assuming one has been set, which it should have).

Try this first, to ensure you can connect, after than I can tell you the commands you need.

Martin

Martin Carr
Level 4
Level 4

You need to provide more information on your network design.

You will have to configure the routing for the new network on the 2821 (I assume this is your core router?).

In terms of physical connectivity, this cannot be answered until we know the above...

Martin

Cameras are IP based (thus the reason for the .25 subnet I assume) and the model is Watchnet.  The cameras connect to a Trendent PoE+ switch TPE-T80H.  I believe I have to connect that switch to the 2821 using the subnet.  I'm assuming I plug the switch into a port, can it be a regular LAN port such as those our PCs are plugged into?    So I have to know how to get into the 2821, look at the current configuration and then change the configuration as appropriate.

alexoncisco
Level 1
Level 1

It ended up being as easy as plugging the new switch into the X4 port on the 2821.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card