Helpful
Replies

I want to purchase Cisco Catalyst 3560 switch to practice backup/boot

hfakoor222
Spotlight
Spotlight

Cisco Catalyst 3560 WS-3560-24TS

switch.

I'm assuming I can telnet into this and do various exercise regarding usb/tftp/flash exercises?

I real the end of life support at May 2021.

I found affordable versions of these and asking opinions as to whether I should buy to practice on.

I also found a 

Cisco Catalyst 2950 WS

switch

Any opinions?

f

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"I'm assuming I can telnet into this and do various exercise regarding usb/tftp/flash exercises?"

Yes you can.  Besides the (original) 24 port 3560 model, the first 8 port model, might be found for less, and I recall (?) it's pretty much like the original 3560 model except, of course, having fewer ports.  (It's also much smaller.)

Obtaining software, though, for this model, might be difficult.  You would want to check what's installed on it now, as the earlier IOS versions had some issues (which might not be of concern for your usage).

BTW, @balaji.bandi mentions the 3750s.  These were basically the twins of the like 3560 models, but with a stacking capability.

"Cisco Catalyst 2950 WS"

The 50, not the 60, correct?  If so, would not recommend a 2950 as they are very limited in what they can do, especially if not the enhanced model.  Software for them might be even harder to obtain.

Again, much depends what you want to do with these switches.  If just having console access and tftp/flash capability, they will do that.  However, if you're going to get switches to "lab" with, would suggest you look for other capabilities, that candidate switches support, so you can try those too.  BTW, likely a 2950 doesn't have a USB port, and the 3560/3750 needed a ROMMON upgrade to do things like boot from the USB.  They are also very particular about the USB stick being used!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

3560 is a newer platform than 2960 with more feature sets like layer-3 routing. So, I would go with 3560. Also, you can practice tftp/flash, etc. Not sure if either switch comes with any USB port.

HTH

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i also consider for lab 3750 or 3750-X you get used one same around cost of others. 

as mentioned you may have difficulty with USB testing, rest should be good.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2960S/2960X and 3560X/3750X are about to go back into "fashion" because of the global chip shortage.  

Sure they are demand now...for short term deployment already.

BB

hfakoor222
Spotlight
Spotlight

And so am I able to console into the 3560 from my PC to work on it?

Most of the Cat switches have console cable access, when you buy used one ( check with vendor he ship with console cable or not) if not you need to buy one.

BB

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"I'm assuming I can telnet into this and do various exercise regarding usb/tftp/flash exercises?"

Yes you can.  Besides the (original) 24 port 3560 model, the first 8 port model, might be found for less, and I recall (?) it's pretty much like the original 3560 model except, of course, having fewer ports.  (It's also much smaller.)

Obtaining software, though, for this model, might be difficult.  You would want to check what's installed on it now, as the earlier IOS versions had some issues (which might not be of concern for your usage).

BTW, @balaji.bandi mentions the 3750s.  These were basically the twins of the like 3560 models, but with a stacking capability.

"Cisco Catalyst 2950 WS"

The 50, not the 60, correct?  If so, would not recommend a 2950 as they are very limited in what they can do, especially if not the enhanced model.  Software for them might be even harder to obtain.

Again, much depends what you want to do with these switches.  If just having console access and tftp/flash capability, they will do that.  However, if you're going to get switches to "lab" with, would suggest you look for other capabilities, that candidate switches support, so you can try those too.  BTW, likely a 2950 doesn't have a USB port, and the 3560/3750 needed a ROMMON upgrade to do things like boot from the USB.  They are also very particular about the USB stick being used!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card