Views
Helpful
Replies

IE 4000 TSN Configuration

T.Mueller
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

We purchased the IE-4000-8GT4G-E for the purpose of testing TSN capabilities. Now the documentation tells me I need the Central Network Controller software (CNC) for creating the TSN schedules needed for deterministic data transfer. But I cant seem to find any information how to obtain this software here on Cisco. Do I need a special License for this or is there any other way to perform this configuration?

9 Replies 9

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not have expertise in Time Sensitive Networking (assuming that this is the TSN that you refer to). But it seems to me, based on the little that I do know that the Central Network Controller would be a separate device from the ethernet switch. Does your TSN documentation say anything about that?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes I am talking about Time Sensitive Networking. I am referring to https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/cisco_ie4000/tsn/b_tsn_ios_support/b_tsn_ios_support_chapter_01.html. The CNC seems to be seperate software which should be provided by Cisco. It looks like National Instruments is providing Beta Software https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Time-Sensitive/How-to-get-TSN-Switches/gpm-p/3538920 but the problem is you have to be a customer in order to use it. And thats all i know about it so far.

Well now I know a bit more about Time Sensitive Networking than I did before. But I do not have much in the way of answers for you. I have found a couple of statements that Cisco has developed an application for CNC but nothing that points at where it might be or how to obtain it. In your original post you ask about whether a special license if required. It is a bit ambiguous whether you are asking in terms of license for TNS on the IE4000 or asking about CNC. I do see that there is a license required for TNS on IE4000. It is not clear wether there is a license for CNC, but it would not surprise me.

If your organization has a support contract with Cisco it might be helpful to try to open a case with Cisco TAC and ask them about how to get CNC. If a sales organization helped you obtain the IE4000 they might be able to find some answers about CNC.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

jesus Barrios
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, I have this problem, any solution?

Friang
Level 1
Level 1

Same problem here. Anyone?

It is interesting that this issue has come up again. I do not have expertise in either TNS or CNC but here is what I have been able to find about this issue. The following link is perhaps somewhat helpful, especially in the part where it asserts that Cisco has developed an application for CNC (but provides no information about how to get that application), and the part where it asserts that the hardware running CNC does not matter (which to me suggests that it is not running on a Cisco switch but on some other hardware - probably some type of computer is my guess).

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/solutions/collateral/industry-solutions/white-paper-c11-738950.pdf

This following link is to a chapter in a document about the Cisco implementation of TSN and about installation of TSN. One interesting aspect of the installation is that there is a separate image for used for the installation of TSN. Note that "All models of IE-4000 support TSN. Starting with Cisco IOS® Software release 15.2(5)E2". It includes a paragraph with an implementation detail that is interesting

The CNC requires a ‘seed’ device to start the discovery. to start with the ‘seed’ the administrator must provide a device Hostname for Bridge and an IP Address. From there it will visit all TSN bridges and end devices it can find. For network discovery to be successful, each TSN Bridge must have a unique host name. This means the administrator must change the hostname from ‘Switch’ to something unique within the network. The end devices should have unique names too.

Another interesting detail: "The CNC will log into the TSN Bridges using Telnet. For this to succeed, the login password needs to be configured and the CNC must know what it is. It needs to be the same for all TSN Bridges".

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/cisco_ie4000/tsn/b_tsn_ios_support/b_tsn_ios_support_chapter_01.html

I hope these articles are helpful, though I admit that neither of them provides much detail about CNC. As suggested in previous post if you are able to open a case with Cisco TAC that would be the best next step. If you are not able to open a case with TAC then if you purchased the TSN switch from Cisco or from an authorized Cisco partner they might be able to assist you.

HTH

Rick

Doing some more searching I did find this link that clarifies the platform for running CNC. the Cisco CNC SW application requires Ubuntu Linux. Unfortunately it does not provide much help about how to get the software.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/industrial-networking/cisco-centralized-network-controler-cnc-software-for-tsn/td-p/4719694?dtid=osscdc000283

HTH

Rick

Hi,

Thank you for the explaination. But to me does it still sound like that nobody but us want to use this feature. And that the switch is sold with this feature advertised but not supplied completely surprises me.

E.g. if I buy a car with adaptive cruise control then would I be a little upset to find out that I need to buy an additional license inorder for it to work.

This is the case for me right now. Inorder for the tsn schedule to be created then will I need access to the CNC software but I am not allowed unless I pay additionaly.

All I ask for is that I can download the software that completes the TSN feature. Without the software then does the switch not support TSN.

You are welcome. I wish that I had better news for you. However it is a well established practice with Cisco (and with many other vendors) to sell a base line product at one (lower) price and to provide optional upgrades to the product which provide additional functionality (sometimes with a different image file) and have an additional price. This appears to be the case with TSN. So my question to you is did you purchase a base line IE4000 or did you purchase an enhanced one?

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card