Views
Helpful
Replies

IE2000 - how to port shutdown causes an alarm

nemanja172
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have IE-2000-4TS and I would like to trigger alarm output when the port change status to "shutdown". I found that switch can monitor the status of the Ethernet ports and generate alarm, but after testing Port Status Monitoring Alarms (Link Fault alarm, Port not Forwarding alarm and Port not Operating alarm), the alarm is activated only after the "no shutdown" command for a very short time.

Does anyone know how I could resolve this? Also, is it possible to set the duration of the alarm?

Best regards, Nemanja

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- A better approach could be to monitor the port status from an external network management software (trough SNMP) ,  examples are provided in : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/58137483/how-get-the-cisco-switch-interfaces-status-by-snmp
                                         (e.g.)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi Marce, 

I'm using SNMP to change the port status, but I'm looking for a solution to trigger an alarm output on the switch and change the duration of the alarm when the port status on the IE-2000-4TS switch changes to "shutdown". While it is possible to monitor the port status through SNMP and external network management software, I specifically want to reset the port on the switch to provoke an alarm output that will signal a relay to reboot an IP camera. I connected the alarm output of the switch to a relay device that can receive and act upon the alarm signal. 

I configure the switch to monitor the port status and generate an alarm when the port goes into the "shutdown" state. The alarm is only activated for a short time after issuing the "no shutdown" command. So, my question is more about how to set the alarm configuration properly and if the switch is capable of generating alarms for the desired duration. Is it possible to manage the alarm output on the switch via SNMP?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card