cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ie2000 iOS recovery

gues7190
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ie 2000 8tc g e. I was upgrading the ios with the latest, using web interface, when i got disconnected from the device. I reconnect the cable as soon as i noticed. It would not continue for thirty minutes. I then turned off the switch. Now it wont boot up. What can i do to recover the switch?

4 Replies 4

pieterh
VIP
VIP

follow the steps from this link section "Recovering from Software Failures"

if you have another working device, instead of downloading from Cisco.com,

you can copy the IOS from the working switch to an SD card

and from the SD card to the switch needing recovery .

NB not all SD cards are accepted by cisco devices, you may need to try some brands/models

First thank you for your response and secondly sorry for the late reply. The help you gave me set me on the right direction. I use extraputty. If using extraputty when using xmodem you enter the command as the link describes then you use the drop-down menu to send the file from your directory. I was putting the directory after the flash  specifier and it did not work. Just a tip for anyone having the same issue.

Next i got the switch to boot from the new firmware file but now it is stuck in a loop.

I get this error:

Upgrading Jeeves FPGA firmware...
%Error stat'ing ucode0:jeevesfpga.rbf (No such file or directory)
Jeeves FPGA Upgrade failed...
Loading Jeeves FPGA Golden Image...
FPGA version 0.14 downloaded successfully
Using driver version 4 for media type 1
Base ethernet MAC Address: 2c:f8:9b:cf:81:00
Xmodem file system is available.
The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.

I looked into it and i tried to use the privileged exec command to tftp this tar file, but i cannot go into privileged exec mode or ping the ftp server. the switch tells me it is not a known command to ping. i tried using enable command to go to privilege mode but nothing else so if there is more to it then please let me know.

EDIT: I cannot find a list of acceptable sd cards for the switch i am using. if  i could also get that that would be awesome. I bought a sd card cisco brand and supposedly compatible with the switch but it did not work. The card maybe bad.

>>> I bought a sd card cisco brand and supposedly compatible with the switch but it did not work. The card maybe bad.<<<

It is less critical when you only want to transfer the files, but to boot from SD card, it needs to be cisco supported.

best work cards less than 2Gb in size, formatted as FAT (16, sometimes also FAT32 is accepted)

try to format it from ROMMON mode.

>>>

Upgrading Jeeves FPGA firmware...
%Error stat'ing ucode0:jeevesfpga.rbf (No such file or directory)
Jeeves FPGA Upgrade failed...
Loading Jeeves FPGA Golden Image...

<<<

suggests  a general ("golden") FPGA firmware is loaded, but not the one compatible with the .bin file

only the .bin file is present on the device? , if so you need to install the full .tar file, and boot from there to upgrade the FPGA.

>>> i cannot go into privileged exec mode <<<

is it possible the device is still in ROMMON mode and not fully booted IOS?

there is no enable command in rommon mode.

to boot from tftp you need different commands

-sd_init ( to format the SD card from the IE200 rommon mode)

then copy the .tar file from the pc to the SD card, if the PC asks to repair the card: answer NO

put the card back into the switch

- flash_init
- load_helper

from here try to copy the (.tar) file from SD-card  to flash

you may need to remove files from flash to have enough space for the .tar file

benmellen655321
Level 1
Level 1

1.  Download the .tar file for your NEW firmware version from Cisco to your computer.

2.  Use a tar extractor to unpack the firmware.

3.  Open the folder of the NEW firmware, copy the jeevesfpga.rbf file to an SD card (under 32gb, formatted fat 32), along with the last known functional firmware .bin file.

4.  Load the sdcard and power cycle the ie2k, or press the reset button until it flashes red/green alternately.  It will first flash green, then flash red, then nothing, then finally green/red.  Only when this happens should you release the button.

5.  The ie2k will load on it's last known good firmware from the sdcard and put you back at switch> where you will type 

Enable

Copy sdflash:jeevesfpga.rbf flash:

Note: this assumes that the NEW firmware is already saved in flash.  If not, eject sdcard, and save it to the card.  Reinsert the sdcard into the ie2k and copy the .bin to flash, after deleting any old iOS images, or OS folders.

For success you must have NEW jeevesfpga.rbf file, NEW firmware .bin copied into flash.

6.  After successful copy, remove the sdcard so that the ie2k doesn't boot from it, and boots from the new firmware image.  It will load the new fpga file, verify it, install it, and verify install before reloading the device again. 

7.  It will now reload on the new firmware with the new Jeeves file in place.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: