cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IE3400 - Unable to get config save status

Searchlight
Level 1
Level 1

I have a IE3400 FT switch that I cannot find a sure fire way to determine the config save status.

I have looked at comparing the timeticks stored in MIB ccmHistoryRunningLastChanged to ccmHistoryStartupLastChanged, I even tried using ccmHistoryRunningLastSaved somehow, nothing works. Even logging in to the switch GUI and making no change whatsoever changes the ccmHistoryRunningLastChanged, so comparing these values is useless. Addditionlly, these calues are integers so they become useless for comparison once the uptime reaches a short timeframe.

I then tried using SSH to get the running-config last configuration change and compare that to the startup-cong last change time, but again, the running-config change time changes simply on a GUI log in, so there is no way to actually detect a change in that config. I know there USE to be a command to compare the two configs, but that seems gone now. I also know that a way existed to compare the two checksums, but those commands don't seem to work either.

I realize I could analyze the difference between the two files, but how do you exclude the items in each file that changes, like the crypto stuff or the last change time? I ask this as I am trying to automate this check with an outside software. So I basically want to be able to simply click a button and have my own software tell me if the config has been changed but not saved.

Is there any command or MIB I am missing that could tell me that? Is no, is there any way to compare the configs but exclude all the stuff that normally changes?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nvm. For anyone else wanting to know, it's:

#show archive config differences nvram:startup-config system:running-config | section exclude crypto

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Searchlight
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, since no responses on that question, let me ask it a different way:

Is there a command I can use that will show me the difference between the the running-config and the startup-config that DOES NOT include the crypto/certificate text? I was able to use:

sh archive config incremental-diffs flash:nvram_config | exclude (crypto|certificate)

which actually gave me close to what I need, however, it only shows additions (+), not (-). Using just the 'difference' command gives me all the cert data, which does not allow me to run an automatic compare on the results as it changes each time.

And using 'difference' over 'incremental' does not allow me to exclude the same (using exclude certificate does not eliminate all the certificate data like it does when using incremental, for some reason.)

Any help? I would even take a way to compare checksum values between the running-config and startup config is that is possible.

Nvm. For anyone else wanting to know, it's:

#show archive config differences nvram:startup-config system:running-config | section exclude crypto

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card