Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IGMP CONFIGURATION between client and serveur

Hi ,

I have a problems for see the streeming in a tv that not connect in same network with server.I have a server tangram that send the streeming.It's directly connect with a switch catalyste 4500 that i configure a igmp server in vlan 10.I have a other batiment that have a other vlan for IPTV.In this batiments i can't see the streming.But in de same vlan with server i can see the streming.

Configuration in switch 4500:

ip igmp snooping querier
ip igmp snooping VLAN 10

Configuration in switch 2960 :

ip igmp snooping
ip igmp snooping querier
ip igmp snooping VLAN 100

Can you please help me is very critical

17 Replies 17

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure what batiment is ?

Do you mean the server is in a different vlan than the client  and that it is not working ?

Jon

Hi Jon,

Yes you are right. i want know How i configure igmp between switch that the server and the client in different VLAN.

for IPTV.

Thank you.

You need to enable multicast routing and then use PIM.

Note if you are using PIM then for the client and server vlans you do not need to configure an IGMP snooping querier but you do still need IGMP snooping enabled.

If this is just one switch you can use this configuration -

1) enable multicast routing -

"ip multicast-routing"

2) on both the client and server SVIs ie. the "int vlan <x>" part of your configuration you need to enable PIM eg.

int vlan <x>
ip pim dense-mode

note the "int vlan <x>" should already exist on your 4500 ie. one for each vlan with IP addresses assigned to them.

Is it just on the 4500 you want to run multicast ?

Let me know.

Jon

Thank you Jon for your response.

I have i switch 4500 that the server is directly connected so i have the switch 2960-s that the the final equipement client is directly connectes.For information, la communication betwween the 4500 and 2960 go throught a switch 6509 and 3750.Can you please give me the configuration exact in each equipements.

I want to inform that i want the brodcast for IPTV technologies.

Thank you.

Hi Jon,

Thank you for respond me this point is very critical .

I understand it is important but you must understand people answering on this site are doing in their free time ie. it is purely voluntary.

The fact that there are other switches complicates things.

I need to understand where all the L3 devices ie. the 4500 is L3 but what about the 6500 and the 3750 switches ?

To get this to work you need to enable multicast routing and PIM on all L3 interfaces in the path between the client and the server.

And PIM dense mode might not be the best choice if there are a lot of L3 devices.

Can you explain how everything connects together from a L3 perspective

Jon

Thank you for your reply.the switch 6500 manage the communication between building.SW-3750 manage the communication inter-builiding.SW-4500 manage local server.The communication inter-building go per static route and every building have it's proper vlan and network.Thank you for find a simple architecture in attachement.

Thank you.

Okay.

So the 4500 routes the server vlan and the 3750 routes the client vlan and the 6500 routes between buildings ?

If so you need to -

1) enable multicast routing on all switches

2) you must enable PIM on all the L3 interfaces on the path between the client and server so that would be the client vlan L3 interface, the server vlan interface and any L3 interfaces that traffic has to go through to get from the client to the server.

Note that does not mean you enable PIM on every L3 interface, just the ones used to get from the client to the server.

You can test using the configuration I provided before but you may want to switch to a more efficient version of PIM once you have proved it works.

You need to make sure the TTL of the multicast packets is greater than the number of L3 hops between client and server and the TTL setting is done within the multicast application ie. nothing to do with the switches.

I have to log off now so I suggest you try with the configuration I initially supplied and then post back with results.

We can modify the PIM setup later.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your reply.I want to know if i applied this configuration in my network that already working will impact it???

Thank you.

Yes it will impact your network because you are sending a multicast stream on links between your buildings where you weren't before.

How much of an impact is impossible for me to say because -

1) I have no idea of how much traffic is currently on those links

2) I have no idea how much traffic the multicast stream generates

3) I have no idea whether you will configure it correctly or not

With the version of PIM I suggested the traffic will be sent automatically across the L3 interfaces configured with PIM whether the client has requested it or not.

But as you need that anyway for the client to receive the stream it seems a valid test.

Once you tested it I was then going to suggest you may want to modify the configuration so that the stream would only be sent via the 6500 and 3750 if the client requested it.

I am happy to help as much as possible but twice now you have told me it was critical and yet it doesn't seem that way to me.

If you want to set it up now so the stream is only sent when the client requests it then let me know but that won't make the bandwidth of the stream any less which is why I suggested the test setup I did.

In the end all I can do is give advice but I cannot be held responsible for what happens on your network.

That is up to you.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thank you very match for your help.Reel this point is very critical i just try with the custumer to slow donw this implimentation for not have the surprise aften while the network is working.

Thank you for your help.

Okay, I understand.

Basically what you need to understand is that as soon as you enable PIM the multicast stream will be sent all the way to the 3750 even if the client doesn't want it.

It will then be pruned back unless the client requests it.

However we can configure it so the stream is not sent all the way to the 3750 unless the client requests it and this may make more sense in the long term.

But I just suggested that configuration so you could test it ie. see if the client could receive the stream.

If it could then it is relatively trivial to modify the configuration.

Do you want to try it as is and do you understand exactly where you need to add the configuration ?

One other thing, in your diagram it shows all the L3 switches connected via trunks but I am still assuming each L3 switch does routing ?

Jon

You are right the switch 3750, 4500 and 6509 do the routing inter building.then tomorrow at 9h gmt i will execute the configuration that you are sent me after i will inform you the result.

Thank you so match for your help.

No problem.

If it all works we can then decide where to go from there.

When you do run it if it works then great, if it doesn't then can you capture this output from each L3 switch -

"sh ip mroute"

that will help troubleshoot any issues.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card