cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

In ROMmon mode it always ask for reset or power cycle ? why is it so?

Manesh Rajan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was doing IOS upgrade on router 2801 after upgrading ios booting was failed so i tried ROMmon mode.but it hanged in the middle. So i open the router case and cleaned the RAM and removed the battery and put it again.After that it started to work in ROMmod. but problem is it won't allow me to use set command or confreg command. After editing configuration it always ask for reset or power cycle. Why is it so? Please some body help me.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Can you please record a transcription of your console session showing how the router boots, how it fails to boot, what commands it accepts from you in the ROMMON and how does it request the reboot? There may be some clues as to what may have happened. This detailed information is very important.

Use your terminal software's feature to record anything that is being displayed on the screen or sent to the router (a log file).

Best regards,

Peter

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post the complete power up/boot up process?

Manesh Rajan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,Leolaohoo & Peter,

Today morning i checked the Router and it boots up normally. i didn't do anything but i found that its Configuration register is 0x2142 and i changed back to 0x2102 and its boots normally. Then i changed IOS to

c2801-advsecurityk9-mz.124-22.YB7.bin . It works fine.  I still don't understand what was the reason it was not booting and asking to reset.  Thank god.

Thank you guys.. 

0x2142 means boot the IOS and ignores the startup-config.

As Leolaohoo said, 0x2142 just bypasses the startup config. It should not affect the bootup process of the router in any way.

Are you sure that the IOS that you tried initially was not corrupt?

Hi Aniruddha &  Leolahoo

IOS was not corrupt and it was woking fine. I really don't understand what power cycles means? Do you have any idea ? some times it try to download IOS from tftp server for previous ios image that i  remove from flash and i want to check  ios image in flash instead of this.  Is there any chances to change register values (0x2102) automatically ? Hmmm.. i didn't change that how come this changed? You guys support are appreciated . Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card