Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

interconnecting two VSS chassis

Hi,

Is it possible to connect a VSS chassis to another VSS chassis redundantly? The result being a redundant virtual switch connected to another redundant virtual switch.  The objective is to use them in multiple datacenters i.e. a VSS in DC(1) providing redundant 10g ports for our servers, then another VSS in DC(2) for  those local servers.

The two VSS chassis will be connected by two enhanced PAGP port channels, one for one set of data and another for other data

Is this even feasible?

Do I need to terminate the portchannels  on the same switch at each datacenter or can they be distributed on to the different switches in the VSS? I hope this makes sense. Diagram attached.

Andy

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Yes, you can have 2 different VSS sets and connect them together.  The key to remember is to give each set a unique VSS domain ID.

example:

VSS-1 Domain id 100

VSS-2 Domain id 200

HTH

Yes Reza said the right thing main thing to remember is the VSS Domain ID.

I have seen customer configuring same VSS domain ID for 2 cluster and we have to face music of running in to different issues.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card