cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface flowcontrol command

battanc
Level 1
Level 1

Analyzing the configuration of a catalyst-4500 for one of my clients (switch that has some problems), I have seen a large use of
the "flowcontrol" command in all modes (receive / send, on / off / desideres).
I never use it, but here it is used on nearly all Giga interfaces.
The question is: is it a good idea or are there any contraindications?
Thanks for any suggestion.
Claudio

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Its like a quick form of qos it tells the sender to slow down when the int is congested , whats the issue your running into on the switch ?

Flow control is a feature defined in the IEEE 802.3x specification, enabling a receiving device to signal congestion to a sending device, which allows for the sending device to temporarily halt transmission, alleviating congestion at the receiving device

• Flow control— Some Fast Ethernet devices support flow control, where devices can send pause frames, which instruct the remote end to stop sending data for a specific period of time.

• Flow control— Flow control is important for gigabit Ethernet connections, where it is reasonable for the receive buffers on a gigabit interface to become full due to the high speeds of data transfer, causing congestion on the interface

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Generally it's a bad to use because it blocks all traffic on the port unless your using Converged Enhanced Ethernet (or one of similar that support priority-based flow control).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card