cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPV6 ping fails

anyone1
Level 1
Level 1

The ipv6 is enabled and also I have the updated version but still ping fails for ipv6. I need help please!!

Switch   Ports    Model                              SW Version                          SW Image

------ ----- ----- ---------- ---------------------------------------------------

*      1    26       WS-C2960-24TT-L         15.0(2)SE4                         C2960-LANBASEK9-M

SC3#sh ipv6 int vlan 1

Vlan1 is up, line protocol is up

IPv6 is enabled, link-local address is FE80::1

No Virtual link-local address(es):

Global unicast address(es):

2001:DB8:1:4::2, subnet is 2001:DB8:1:4::/64

Joined group address(es):

FF02::1

FF02::1:FF00:1

FF02::1:FF00:2

MTU is 1500 bytes

ICMP error messages limited to one every 100 milliseconds

ICMP redirects are enabled

ICMP unreachables are sent

Output features: Check hwidb

ND DAD is enabled, number of DAD attempts: 1

ND reachable time is 30000 milliseconds

ND NS retransmit interval is 1000 milliseconds

6 Replies 6

Hello

Ping fail from/to where?
sh ipv6 interface brief
sh ipv6 route

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

ipv6 ping fails from pc to switches but works from pc to routers and pc to pc 

this is what I get for "sh ipv6 interface brief" and  "sh ipv6 route"

Were you able to figure this out?

I'm facing the exact same issue, and am not sure if the switch actually supports routing (ipv6 unicast-routing command is missing).

Hello,

is this a layer 2 or layer 3 switch ? If the Vlan interface takes an IPv6 address, it should be pingable. The 'default gateway' should automatically be acquired from the neighboring IPv6 router.

Hi Georg,

it's an old L2 switch (WS-C2960G-24TC-L 12.2(55)SE12 C2960-LANBASEK9-M). I was hoping to be able to do some very basic ipv6 routing with the dual-ipv4-and-ipv6 SDM template. However it seem like that's only supported with the lanbase-routing template.

Pinging the switch vlan interfaces from a hosts works, just no actual routing beteen the "connected" routes.

Is there any hope without an additional router?

Hello,

the 2960G is (obviously) an ancient device (end of life as of 2011), so there is no IOS upgrade path, which means you are stuck with the commands that are available...unfortunately.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card