Helpful
Replies

Is Cisco 1841 support Q in Q

yoram12345
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all ,

I have cisco 1841 router .

i would like it to pass the outer tag vlan (vlan 1000) with the the inner tags vlans (100,200,300)  transparently from interfaces fastethernet 0/0 to 0/1

I am afraid it does not support it .

Can somebody advise how to do it ?

BR,

Yoram

2 Replies 2

Hi Yoram,

QinQ is a layer 2 technology and needs to be implemented on a layer 2 switchport. The platform in this sense, is not so relevant as it is instead the port capability. If i am not wrong, the 1841 has its two fastethernet ports in a purely layer 3 mode and that is why possibly you cannot implement it. You could simply buy an etherswitch module and implement the dot1q-tunnel command having your vlan 1000 as QinQ transport vlan.

Caution!!! The QinQ technology is probably one of the best ideas ever implemented.... but remember that it is NOT scalable at all. One of the reasons is that you need to implement the transport vlan (at layer 2) from one point of the network up to the other end..and this may not be what you really want.

take a look at this link to better understand my comments:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/software/release/12.1_13_ea1/configuration/guide/swtunnel.html

Take Care

Alessio

Hi Alessio,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually i am using the cisco 1841 as a VRRP router for router redundancy.

q in q

|

cisco3500

|          |

1841 --1841

|          |

3500--3550

|          |

qinq    qinq

i have already abled to configure subinterfaces for the 1841 - each one  with its own vlan

however could not pass the inner vlan also. only one vlan per subinterface could be configured

so i guess i am not able to do than , and if i want to remain in the specific topology ,-i need

to strip theouter vlan and configure the 1841 and define all other vlans with subinterfaces

BR'

Yoram

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: