cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IS-IS hello padding

dsplittberger
Level 1
Level 1

I'm working on a 7600 series router and noticed that when sending IS-IS padded hello's, the hello's do not actually get padded out to the CLNS MTU value, but actually get padded out to the MTU - 1.

So for example, if I just have the interface MTU set to say 9000 then doing a show clns interface would show the clns MTU at 8997, which is correct. But when debugging, I see that the router is sending 8996 PDU's. Now if I set the CLNS MTU to say 7000, debugging shows the router sending PDU's of 6999 size. Unless I'm misreading something, the hello's should be padded to the size of the MTU, so where is this 1 byte going, why pad to one less than the MTU?

5 Replies 5

rsimoni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi David,

nice catch!!!! 

the maximum size of isis hello packet over point-to-point link is purposely set to clns_mtu -1 becasue  we need extra bite to send over DS3 links (for reasons related to IOS code that I cannot comment here). This is done for historical reason and changing the behavior may cause issues with DS3 link.  So this is expected behavior.

By the way on broadcast interfaces the padded hello packet should be the entire clns_mtu value.

Lastly he behavior is common on all IOS platforms and not only related to 7600.

Hope this helps

Riccardo

Much appreciated on the explanation Riccardo. It was driving me nuts trying to figure out why the extra byte was missing.

you are welcome

ISIS for IPV6 between ASR9K and ASR1K

Need to set up the hello-padding disable on both sides. Otherwise, the ipv6 isis route can't be got by each other.

router isis area2
 interface TenGigE0/2/0/0.6
  circuit-type level-2-only
  hello-padding disable
  address-family ipv6 unicast

This is required because the interface mtu is likely different on either side.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card