cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jumbo Frame enable on 6509E any gotchas ?

manuscript1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am planning to enable jumbo frames on a 6509e . looks straightforward ...enable jumbo egress globally "system jumbomtu 9000" then on vlans and ports/port channels passing jumbo frames set the "mtu size " . ( hopefully I have this bit right ! ) . I have checked line cards and from what I can find they all support 9000 frame.

However my questions are :

1. does the 6509e  need a reload as 37xx and 3560s do need  reloads with the global mtu change.?

2. anyone experienced any issues or gotchas with jumbo change.

Thanks all

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

No, the 6500 series don't need reload.

Also, no need for "system jumbomtu 9000" command. Just enable it on the physical ports that need it.  There is no gotchas that I know, but I would do it during off hours just in case you run to any mismatch MTU issue with other devices.

HTH

Hi Reza thansk for the reply - what exactly do you mean with mismatch MTU with other devices .... i thought teh cisco end deals with any frame size up the jumbo setting ....do you mean that two taklking endpoints must have same frame setup to talk or are you implying something else ?

Thansk if you can clarify

Hi,

I have seen cases (not always) when you change the MTU the access port flaps and that is why I recommend doing it during a maintenance window.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card