Views
Helpful
Replies

L2 Etherchannel Default Port

Craddockc
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Community,

I am having trouble understanding something that seems kind of basic. I am studying for the CCNP Switch exam and am configuring Etherchannles on my home lab. I configured a L2 Etherchannel in the "on" mode but cannot tell which port within the EC is the "default" port. I am reading that this is the port that will be used by STP to send its packets. Normally I would expect to see a "(Pd)" next to the port, but I am not and there is no aging info of the ports specifically like you get with PAgP, so i cannot tell. Any idea why? I pasted below the output from my switches. I truncated the output for brevity.

Thanks.

CCNP3750-2#sh etherchannel sum

Number of channel-groups in use: 1

Number of aggregators:           1

Group  Port-channel  Protocol    Ports

------+-------------+-----------+-----------------------------------------------

2      Po2(SU)          -        Fa1/0/11(P) Fa1/0/12(P)

CCNP3750-1#sh etherchannel sum

Number of channel-groups in use: 1

Number of aggregators:           1

Group  Port-channel  Protocol    Ports

------+-------------+-----------+-----------------------------------------------

1      Po1(SU)          -        Fa1/0/11(P) Fa1/0/12(P)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Simon Brooks
Level 1
Level 1

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/30509

Take a look. New platforms dont indicate pd. Why would you need to know anyway?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Simon Brooks
Level 1
Level 1

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/30509

Take a look. New platforms dont indicate pd. Why would you need to know anyway?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Simon,

Thank you fro the reply. I asked because the CCNP book mentions the default port a few times so I assumed it was atleast somewhat important to know which port in the EC would be carrying the STP traffic. Just in case the test throws a question at me similar to "Given the output, which port in the EC will carry STP Traffic" I dont want to be scratching my head just in case there were different ways of discerning which port is the "default" port based on which EC protocol is being used.

I guess it doesnt matter too much considering some switches dont even bother to tell you.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card