Views
Helpful
Replies

L2 Etherchannel Default Port

Craddockc
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Community,

I am having trouble understanding something that seems kind of basic. I am studying for the CCNP Switch exam and am configuring Etherchannles on my home lab. I configured a L2 Etherchannel in the "on" mode but cannot tell which port within the EC is the "default" port. I am reading that this is the port that will be used by STP to send its packets. Normally I would expect to see a "(Pd)" next to the port, but I am not and there is no aging info of the ports specifically like you get with PAgP, so i cannot tell. Any idea why? I pasted below the output from my switches. I truncated the output for brevity.

Thanks.

CCNP3750-2#sh etherchannel sum

Number of channel-groups in use: 1

Number of aggregators:           1

Group  Port-channel  Protocol    Ports

------+-------------+-----------+-----------------------------------------------

2      Po2(SU)          -        Fa1/0/11(P) Fa1/0/12(P)

CCNP3750-1#sh etherchannel sum

Number of channel-groups in use: 1

Number of aggregators:           1

Group  Port-channel  Protocol    Ports

------+-------------+-----------+-----------------------------------------------

1      Po1(SU)          -        Fa1/0/11(P) Fa1/0/12(P)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Simon Brooks
Level 1
Level 1

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/30509

Take a look. New platforms dont indicate pd. Why would you need to know anyway?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Simon Brooks
Level 1
Level 1

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/30509

Take a look. New platforms dont indicate pd. Why would you need to know anyway?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Simon,

Thank you fro the reply. I asked because the CCNP book mentions the default port a few times so I assumed it was atleast somewhat important to know which port in the EC would be carrying the STP traffic. Just in case the test throws a question at me similar to "Given the output, which port in the EC will carry STP Traffic" I dont want to be scratching my head just in case there were different ways of discerning which port is the "default" port based on which EC protocol is being used.

I guess it doesnt matter too much considering some switches dont even bother to tell you.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card