cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN Design Help

grc
Level 1
Level 1

I am re-designing my current network and am pretty much replacing all of our LAN gear. I will have dual 6509?s at the core, and pushing a mix of 4507?s and 6509?s to my access layer. I also want to move my servers off of the core and put them on their own L3 switch. The goal is to provide redundancy and to eliminate STP wherever possible.

The attached diagram is a work in progress and I would like to verify that my thinking is correct. For simplistic purposes, I am using VLAN1 for mgt and a /24 for all networks. This will most likely change in the future.

The dual core 6509?s will each have SVI ? VLAN 1 configured and connected by an etherchannel. Each access switch and server switch will have their VLAN 1 configured with an address in the same network.

Each core will connect to each access switch and the uplink ports on both the core and access switch will be in VLAN 1. The access switches will then have SVI - VLAN 2 configured and all pc?s will connect to access ports in this VLAN. The DG for the pc?s will be VLAN 2?s SVI IP address on the switch that they connect to.

Each core will connect to the server switches and the uplink ports on both core and server switch will be in VLAN 1. The server switches will then have SVI ? VLAN 100 configured. I would like to allow the servers to connect to each switch for redundancy. In order to do this, I setup an etherchannel between the server switch and am trunking VLAN 100 only. I will then setup glbp or vrrp between the server switches. This will allow for the servers to be teamed and use 1 address with a connection to each switch. If I use glbp, the server?s default gateway will be the glbp IP.

I will run EIGRP on all L3 switches.

Will this design work? If I use glbp and the server nics are teamed, am I correct that I should use the fault tolerant mode where only one nic transmits and receives. I could then alternate the switch that each active nic plugs in to (server 1 active nic to sw1, server 2 active nic to sw2, etc).

15 Replies 15

mmohanni1981
Level 1
Level 1

Your design is pretty good,

are you gonna use a virtual gateway for each vlan??!! if you set the vlan in the cores and made them as servers and the access would be clients and get the vlans from the cores directly. virtual gateways will allow your cores to act as stand by for each other using the 10G trunk between them. then you should specify a spanning tree which would allow half of your vlans to use the core no.1 as primary and the other half would use the core no.2 as primary. in case a core failed the standby switch will take over the remaining Vlans.

if you specified this one virtual gateway lets say in your fourth L3 switch on the left 10.203.16.2,10.203.17.2,10.203.18.2,10.203.19.2

this would allow you to easily configure the DHCP pools using the gateways which eventualy they indicate the gateways .1,.3 which are your primary and secondary cores.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card