Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN switching infrastructure desin in factory

dabur10376004
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I want to design the new upcoming factory Lan network. There is 7 internal location which need to connect server room L3 switch (cisco 3560). internal location switch are L2 10/100/1000 (cisco 2960X) with 1G Fiber uplink.

Loc1 L2-sw                             Loc2 L2-sw                                Loc3 L2-sw

L3 Sw1

Loc4 L2-sw                               Loc5  L2-sw

Loc6 L2-sw                                                                                               Loc7 L2-sw

please suggest to us how we could go for connectivity with Fiber. as per my knowledge earlier star topology was using. now we heart about ring topology.
we need to achieve network uptime maximize & network performance should be best.

please suggest to us how we could go for this.

Regards
vinod

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you can connect everything in a star topology then I would go that way.  If you can't because of distances then consider using a ring.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you can connect everything in a star topology then I would go that way.  If you can't because of distances then consider using a ring.

Hi,

Presently this factory is under construction. now we are planning to do either star are ring topology. so I want a suggestion.

As per my understanding, in Ring topology, all fiber will connect on the switch port & cascaded to next switch.

one switch to next switch fiber distance will be approx. 300 -400 m.

Hmm, how many switches would there be in the ring (if you went that way) and how many ports would be required at each switch?

Maybe you need to consider using Cisco REP (search for the word "ring"):

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/ethernet/116384-technote-rep-00.html

REP is particularly popular in industrial environments ...

It is *just* supported on Cisco 3850's (so that would have to be your minimum spec switch).  Ideally you would step up to the 4500 series chassis switch.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For optimal performance, you want a direct connect between the server room L3 switch and each edge switch.  (Basically, a classical star topology.)  Whether you can support your edge switch distances depends on the kind of fiber and optics being used.

If your optics and fiber don't allow direct connections between each edge switch and the L3 switch, you could create one big ring, where you link each switch to two other switches, but the problem with that design, traffic now needs to hop though, possibly, multiple other switches.  However, you might also have the option to create a partial mesh or some hierarchy topology.  For example, perhaps you can directly connect locations 1, 2, 4 and 6 to the L3 switch, and location 3 to locations 1 or 2, and locations 5 and 7 to locations 4 or 6, so some other combination that minimizes switch hops.

BTW, if you only have a single L3 switch, that has no redundancy, it becomes a single point of failure for your whole network.  If you have a stack pair, you can create dual Etherchannels links to the edge switches and perhaps to critical servers.  Even without dual Etherchannel, with a stack pair, you can often preconfigure ports to be used if the other stack member's fails.  I.e. downtime for such might only be the time need to repatch from the failed stack member to the still good stack member. (I.e. minutes of downtime vs. hours to days of downtime.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card